gsxr 1100 85' cam timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr 1100 85' cam timing

is the cam timing for 85' gsxr 1100 similar to 83' gs750 es.
    any tips for stock timing of gsxr 1100 85'

As long as you don't have slotted gears it should be close to the same. The main thing you need to know is how many pins to count between the arrows on the gears.

Comment

You should have an '86 model as I believe only the 750 was made in '85.

If you are simply installing stock cams and sprockets, there should be arrows on the sprockets along with a pin count to set them properly.

If you are degreeing them in, the 750 numbers should be a little peakier than the 1100. Most aftermarket cams recommend the 750 lobe centers in the 108-110 range and the 1100 cams in the 104-106 range.

One thing, the lobe center number is just a number. You can move the power delivery up or down the rpm range by adjusting this number. Lower centers make better midrange while higher numbers make peak power. Valve to piston clearance should always be checked.

Good Luck, Ed.
      1983 GS750ED
      2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

cam timing for gs 750 es 83'

can we simplify degreeing in the cams by converting into sprocket teeth for example how many teeth to advance or retard.
        markings on the cam sprockets should face signal generator side, right?
        what if they are not?

Comment

Normally you set the crank at TDC then slots on the ends of the cams should be facing each other. You'll have one arrow on the exhaust cam gear facing straight foward pointing at the surface where the valve cover gasket sits and another pointing straight up. You'll also have an arrow pointing straight up on the intake cam gear. Then you count how many cam chain pins are between the two arrows. You have to know how many pins you should be counting. Moving the gears one tooth is going to be way too much in one direction or the other and you can easily have valves hitting pistons. You need to know that pin count more than anything. The only way to change cam timing properly is with slotted gears. Then you need to know how to degree cams. You'll need a degree wheel and a dial guage and know what you're doing.

Comment

can we simplify degreeing in the cams by converting into sprocket teeth for example how many teeth to advance or retard.
            Well, if you are talking about a degreeing with a degree wheel, it is a much finer process than jumping teeth. To go from a low end torque monster to top end screamer is a matter of going from 106 to 110 degree lobe centers. That is 4 crankshaft degrees, which is only 2 degrees of cam rotation. When you are close, you can't even see the cam sprockets move relative to the cam as you tweak it. Jumping a tooth is something like a 15 cam degree change (depending on the number of teeth on the cam sprockets), so that would be 30 crank degrees of change.

markings on the cam sprockets should face signal generator side, right?
            I am not sure it matters much, but they were arranged that way when I did my GS cams and I left it that way.

Mark[/quote]

Comment

Working...
            X