Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Crankcase Cover

I have an '81 gs850:
    There is oil leaking out of my crankcase on the right side. I removed the cover and replaced the large gasket, I noticed that the oil was coming from the large bolt coming out of the center of the crankcase. For you military guys, it is a class two leak.

I hope I explained it, I'm not a huge tech guy, that is why this site is such a help.

What do I need to do? I can answer more questions too.

I have an 850 I'm not sure what you are asking you can go to
    Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

& look around & maybe give a better discription of where you leak is comming from

Comment

It's the large bolt coming through the wires when removing the ignition or points cover (I believe)

If you follow this link, the oil leaks from 9,10,11,12 (on parts diagram), the leak is actually from the middle of this mess.

Comment

Okay guys, I've figured it out and searched the forums too. There hasn't been a post about this for a while and I wanted to see if anyone has new ideas.

It is the crank seal on a 81 gs850. I figure I have to remove the ignition plate and then pull that seal. Any tips, any ideas, anybody done it recently and want to share?

By the way, I'm assuming that it is Number 22 on this picture.

Comment

If it is to be removed from the outside of the crankcase run a couple of screws into it to give you something to grab then use them to pull it out.

Comment

After I pull it out, you just jam the new one back in? It seems to be a $10.00 seal not including shipping, so screwing it up could add up quickly!

Comment

Use something the right diameter to cover the new seal and tap it back in with as little force as possible and keep it going in straight. A little light lubrication will help.

Comment

Working...
              X