Electrex Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrex Rectifier/Regulator

Had a bad rectifier ruin my stator ('81 GS450), so based on what I have read (I think from this board) I am getting the Electrex unit. I have another good stator I can use so my question is should I get the Electrex stator or will the Suzuki one be allright?

The Suzuki one will be fine....just be sure all connections are clean and
    tight. Do a search on this for other info, like re-routing the third phase
    and direct ground and battery connections for your R/R.

Comment

Richard,

I used the original R/R on my '81 1100E until it died in 2001. I wondered why some people had constant problems with the original equipment R/R, often replacing them two times a year, but mine kept on rectifin' and regulatin' with no problems for over 20 years. I finally realized what made the difference. I changed the air box out for pods in 1982. This allowed increased air flow across the R/R which in turn kept it cooler thus increasing the life of the R/R. Do as Beby says (good advice) and try to put the R/R in a place that gets plenty of cool air and you should have no problem with the stock R/R. This is true of the Electrex unit also, which may be a lot less expensive.

Hap

Comment

I still have my original R/R on my bike. A few years back I strapped a computer case fan to the fins for additional cooling.

Comment

Thanks for the info, wasn't able to find info on rerouting the third phase yet, but there is a lot of info on this board and I keep getting diverted reading about other stuff!

Comment

I've been almost afraid to mention it, but my R/R-stator is original as well; and didn't want to jinx myself! It was good to hear about the airbox/cooling thing, though. My 1000S has had pods almost since new, so I guess it's not been pure luck that mine's survived as long as it has.
            I've just torn my bike apart to do much-needed, long over due maintenence, and plan on converting to a replacement R/R before anything bad happens.
            Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s
              I've been almost afraid to mention it, but my R/R-stator is original as well; and didn't want to jinx myself! It was good to hear about the airbox/cooling thing, though. My 1000S has had pods almost since new, so I guess it's not been pure luck that mine's survived as long as it has.
              I've just torn my bike apart to do much-needed, long over due maintenence, and plan on converting to a replacement R/R before anything bad happens.
              Hugh
              The most likely cause of Suzuki failures is heat. air flow is vital, but is limited on some models, and een more limited on others.

The solution posted above is a good one. A computer fan (12 volt, of course) can be wired in to constantly blow air across the R/R and this will contribute to a longer equipment life.

The computer fan has an additional advantage: it draws very little current, but still moves a fair amount of air.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

and just to be sure you know, wire it so the fan only gets power when the ignition switch is on. Otherwise you will find out how fast a 12 volt motorcycle battery can go dead.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardW
                  Thanks for the info, wasn't able to find info on rerouting the third phase yet, but there is a lot of info on this board and I keep getting diverted reading about other stuff!
                  There is a very good chance that you will not need to re-route the third phase. I believe that in 1981, Suzuki stopped using the third leg as an unregulated leg. I know that they stopped on the 1100E...get a wiring diagram of your bike and check to see if all three legs are regulated.

Hap

Comment

Well that's interesting to know. I wonder if there is a way to tell if the third leg is regulated or not? I ordered an Electrex R/R before I found out you can use a Honda, so I bought one of those on Ebay for my parts bike (which is soon to become a 'for sale' bike).

Comment

Originally posted by RichardW
                      Originally posted by Hap Call
                      There is a very good chance that you will not need to re-route the third phase. I believe that in 1981, Suzuki stopped using the third leg as an unregulated leg. I know that they stopped on the 1100E...get a wiring diagram of your bike and check to see if all three legs are regulated.
                      All three stator phases are regulated. Some bikes use a headlight switch to turn off one stator wire circuit when the headlight is turned off.

See my posts in This Thread for an explanation of the third (headlight) stator wire circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                        ...All three stator phases are regulated....
                        This statement need clarification. The voltage output from all three phases is monitored by a zener diode. The zener diode turns "on" when its high voltage threshhold is reached and activates two transistors in series which in turn switch two SCRs.

These SCRs are connected to two of the three stator phases, and send the two stator outputs to ground when overvoltage is present. Overcharging is prevented by this type of "regulation". The "headlight switch" stator phase connecting to the white/red R/R wire is the phase not switched by a SCR. So, while only two of the three stator phases are switched to ground, charging voltage is monitored for all three phases. Although arguably not the best of designs, this type of regulation is adequate to prevent overcharging.

Comment

Working...
                        X