Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Honda Regulator/Rectifier to use on my '81 GS450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Honda Regulator/Rectifier to use on my '81 GS450?

Which Honda Regulator/Rectifier to use on my '81 GS450? Should I just go with any early 80's similar cc? Thanks.

You can use any of the ones that fit the 80, 81, 82, 83 and, I believe, 84 400/450 engines. Probably others will fit as well, as the electrical flow is similar on most of the mid-size models.

Any of them can be adapted for all GS Suzuki models.

The Honda green wire is ground and the black one ties into a live circuit on your bike.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
      ...The Honda green wire is ground and the black one ties into a live circuit on your bike.
      To be specific, the black wire (voltage sense) must connect to a switched live circuit, activated only when the ignition switch is turned on.

Comment

Thanks guys. Good point Boondock. I just won one on ebay from a 1980 CB650, so that should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
          Originally posted by argonsagas
          ...The Honda green wire is ground and the black one ties into a live circuit on your bike.
          To be specific, the black wire (voltage sense) must connect to a switched live circuit, activated only when the ignition switch is turned on.

Yes, that was an accurate specification, however, it may please be noted that a circuit is incomplete, and thus not "live", until current is made available for use, that availability generally being controlled by a switch.

There are only two constantly live wires on the bike, they being the leads between the fuse box and the ignition switch, and between the solenoid and the battery

That said, I agree with your additional information, as it removes the epossibility of having the black attached to the ignition lead.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the link. Very informative. The info I found that is closest to mine suggests:
            yellow - yellow
            yellow - white/red
            yellow - white/blue
            red/white - red
            black - switched orange on the bundle plug going into the fuse box
            green - ground straight to the battery
            That looks good, except I've got one more skinny black. Should I make that a switched 12V also? Honda is on the right in the picture.

Comment

I forgot to add, I also have a white wire on my Honda R/R. Also, my GS450 doesn't have a switched orange, but I can find a switched hot somewhere. So all I need to know is where to put my second skinny black and my white.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardW
                ...I just won one on ebay from a 1980 CB650, so that should work.
                Sorry, but this R/R will not work on your bike. This Honda R/R is designed for an alternator with a field coil magnet, not a permanent magnet such as used on your bike and other Suzukis. That's why you have the extra unidentified wires.

Download the PDF Fitting Instructions for this R/R to confirm my bad news.

Comment

Thanks Boondocks, you have saved me much grief then. So what should I look for? Just one without the white wire? What about this one? I just won this one because my other GS450 also needs one!
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting[/i][/i]

Comment

Sorry, but that one also uses a field coil, not a permanent magnet.

Do a search in the Technical Forum for "Shindengen" (no quotation marks) and you should get about 56 matches. Most of these SHxxx-xx R/Rs referenced are Honda units that have been used by members. Read the posts and you should get all of the information you need to make a choice.

Comment

Great info. I'm almost an expert now. I found a recommendation for 78-80 Honda CX500 for my '81 GS450. What about '81 Honda? It looks like it doesn't have the unwanted white wire.
                      trueJust found one for the '78. Little more spendy though. Looks the same as '81 to me.

Comment

The wiring on the Honda CX500 is compatible. However, be advised that the first link is for an untested part from a junk bike. The second advertises
                        EXCELLENT REGULATOR!!!

Came off strong running bike
                        Wires and connectors are all good, OVER $200 NEW!
                        Bear in mind - this R/R is from a 28 year old bike. The auction is starting at $23.50 (with shipping). Even if the bike was running, it doesn't mean that the R/R is good. Bikes can run with a bad R/R as long as a battery charger is frequently used. As far as the "OVER $200 NEW", that's a reach. You would have to make a strong effort to be screwed to pay that much for a new R/R. This use of hyperbole would make me very cautious about any other claims or promises.

Either of these R/Rs might be worth considering if the seller will guarantee that they work. Usually they won't, and even if they do, you are stuck with the cost of shipping it both ways.

Given your experience and investment so far with unfortunate results, you might consider cutting your losses and buying a new, guaranteed Rick's Rectifier/Regulator from Z1 Enterprises. The cost is $67.50 plus $5.50 USPS Priority Mail shipping for a total of $73.00.

If you're not careful, you will spend more that this collecting R/Rs that are either unusable or of questionable working condition.

Comment

Yes, I know what you mean about running with a bad R/R. My new acquisitions are an '81 GS450S (rider) and an '81 GS450E (currently for parts, future rider). I couldn't believe that BOTH had bad R/r's! And both ran, one had a destroyed stator.
                          Before I found out about the Honda fix I ordered an Electrix unit from Bike Bandit ($107). Haven't gotten it yet. I figured I'd pick up a couple Honda units, one for a spare and one for the 'E'.
                          I'll have to check out that Rick's unit. That sounds pretty good.
                          Thanks Boondocks.

Comment

Hey wouldn't you know it, the 82 and later are $67, '81 is $96!

Comment

Working...
                            X