Of course it broke!!!! Tensioner then valve cover bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course it broke!!!! Tensioner then valve cover bolt

I got into a double whammy tonight with my 1100G. I'm taking off the bolts to the valve cover and have all but the last one off. Of course that's the one that broke and it's right underneath the mount for the left ignition coil and I'm not sure yet how I will get it out. Pulling/leaning the motor is a LAST resort in my mind. Any other suggestions?

To ice the cake, I went to rebuild my cam chain tensioner and the knob that connects the tensioner spring to the body was made of plastic and cracked in two! PLASTIC? What were they thinking? The knob on my 750 tensioner was metal like the rest of the part! Now I have to buy a tensioner just to get the knob. UPDATE: Found one with a metal knob on ebay for $4+$5 s/h.

-Jon
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

I had a similar experience last year.

I was frustrated and disgusted and was Totally unsuccessful getting an easy out into the tight space.

My short term solution was to use gasket in a tube and put that on the whole gasket area, allow it to cure over night and then put vavle cover back on with the bolts I did have. It worked for a while (pretty much the riding season and then the oil leeks just got the better of me and I pulled of the head and let a machine shop have at fixing my mess which I must say they did with great efficiency.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 850. While replacing the intake boots (pipes they call them) between engine and carbs, all of the bolts came out with a little persuasion...except that last one which broke off. Tried drilling it out, which only made a bigger problem. So, using some sealant and steel wire I secured it back to where it was good and tight. Still, it stays in the back of my mind. Wonder when it's going to fall apart...

Comment

See other post for options

Comment

Oh, you all should have seen it! It was a sight me trying to get the motor moved enough to drill out the bolt on the valve cover.

To make a long story short, I freed the motor from the mounts, disconnected the ONE bolt that was holding my universal joint on the shaft drive together (holy crap where are the other three!?) and was ready to start jacking this thing around.

I had a hydraulic jack with some plywood between it and the oil pan and get this - two ratchet straps that attached to the holes in the front of the engine (where the long bolt goes through) on one end and on the other end, I attached them to the I-beam that runs across the garage. I knew that I-beam would come in handy one day!

I lifted the motor and gave one of the straps a few extra clicks to tilt it to the left and, whammo, I had access to the bolt that needed to be drilled!

I only drilled it out to about 1/8" above the top of the head. That broke free enough of the corrosion for me to get the valve cover off with little effort. After I got it off, there was enough sticking out to get the vise grips on it and twist it. Of course, it broke again (as I suspected it would) and now I just need to drill out the other half that's down in the head. Should be pretty straightforward; I just need to make sure I keep the shavings out of the top of the head!

It's always something isn't it? :?
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
          X