problems staying started and NO power on acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems staying started and NO power on acceleration

This is my first technical question post. I know that sentence is going to turn many of you off right away, but i tried searching to no avail.

I have an 81 450e that i pick up in november 05. I've put about 200-300 miles on it so far (current mileage is approx 12.6k) with no major problems aside from a very small gas leak at the petcock (which i have bought the rebuild kit for). I have been getting terrible gas mileage, roughly 25-30 miles to a gallon, but that's not what i'm worried about right now. I will deal with that problem later. The previous owner told me he clean and synced the carbs. There was fresh oil and a new filter on it. He also had installed k&n filters to each carb, which he claims were properly jetted. The bike also had brand new plugs and wires.

My main problem is that when i went to ride the bike this morning, I had a bit of a hard time starting it, and it wouldn't stay started unless i manulally kept the rpm up around 2k. The bike was running perfectly fine at 8:00 pm the night before. I needed to get to work, so i decided to ride it anyway. When i tried to take off, there was NOOO power at all. Accelleration was incredibly poor through all the gears and all throttle positions. The bike would also stall immediately when choked even when cold. I pulled the plugs and around the threads they were very black, but they didn't seem to be fouled. The electrodes looked fairly normal. I haven't tried replacing the plugs yet. I can't for the life of me figure out what happened in about 12 hours of just sitting peacefully in front of my house that would have impacted the bike so much. I'm not sure if this matters, but it was very foggy today with humidity levels around 100%.

I bet it's only running on one cylinder. Check your pipes to see if they are both HOT . Or pull one plug off and see if there is NO difference (that would be your bad cylinder), check for spark on each, clean your plugs.

Comment

starting problem

I agree ,and if spark is on all 4 change your fuel filter.and test your petcock.

Comment

Any chance you could have left your petcock on Prime? Also if you have a worn out petcock, your petcock vacuum line could be sucking fuel into the carbs and causing problems.

Comment

I agree ,and if spark is on all 4 change your fuel filter.and test your petcock
          its a twin mate.

Comment

It was a bad plug. I was only running off one cylinder. Now i have to figure out why the plug fouled. It looks like it's running way rich.

Comment

Working...
            X