Regulator Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator Fan

I have a small computer fan that I am going to cool the regulator with. I can either mount it below the regulator, thus blowing air directly on it or I can mount it to the side and blow across it. If it's mounted to the side the air from the fan will blow through the aluminum fins. Any opinions? I think mounting it to the side will cool better. Ted

I mounted mine on top of the fins blowing down. As long as you get air across it location probably won't matter much. You just want to get air across the heatsink. You could even have the air blowing up from the heatsink.

Comment

One other thing I did was elevate the R/R a bit so there is airspace beneath the epoxied part of the R/R.

Comment

That's a good idea about increasing the gap between the battery box and regulator. Thanks again. Ted

Comment

Get a good quality computer case fan, will set you back maybe at most $20. These are 12volt and will be unaffected by the heat from the heatsink. I bolted mine directly on the Electrex regulator and it was a perfect fit. wire it through a fuse so if something happens you won't cause a fire behind the side cover. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            One other thing I did was elevate the R/R a bit so there is airspace beneath the epoxied part of the R/R.
            I did the exact reverse. I added some zinc oxide based heatsink compound to the back of the reg to use the mounting plate (battery box) as an additional heatsink.

Comment

Working...
            X