Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motor wont turn over after rings installed HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor wont turn over after rings installed HELP!

PLease I need help to figuer out what is wrong with my 1979 GS 750. took it apart to install new gaskets thought id replace rings too. didnt put it on top ded center when taking a part. Put all back to geather with new rings and couldn't turn over motor, so couldn;t set timing. first rebuild please help if you can send me suggestions to mark.aragon@enmu.edu thankyou.

If you didn't get it to TDC there's a good chance the cams are too far out of time and you may have valves hitting pistons. Did you have anyway of knowing where to position the cams?

Comment

Have a book

I have a bool but i am t hinking now that the gap on my rings was top small. thanks any other help would be appreciated.

Comment

I assume you have tried turning it over with the plugs out.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

You should have checked ring gap before installing the pistons, but that isn't your problem. I'll go with Billy and say your cams are in wrong.

If you haven't forced anything yet, you can still correct your problem without any damage. Take your cams out and install them as the manual states. NOTE: TDC is not important when disassembling, but you must find it on reassembly.

Comment

piston rings were stuck

the oil ring cam off of trsack in barreral 1 and 4. had to beet out but no damage luckily.

Comment

DOH! THREAD HIJACK...
              heh you go to ENMU... How's Portales? I went there for a semester and found out college wasn't for me... got a ton of free t-shirts and swag from the Taco Box though...

Comment

Those rings cannot come off track while in the barrel. You must have installed them that way. Before you place the head back on hold the cylinder down and give the crank a twist to see if the pistons are free in the cylinders. Make sure the cam chain is lifted to keep it from binding.

When assembling a motor take your time and check and then recheck everything. I guess I assumed you checked the pistons for free movement before you put the head on.

Glad to hear you found the problem and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X