How do I get this freakin gasket off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get this freakin gasket off?

In changing the head gasket due to a hemorrhaging oil leak, I figured I'd just go ahead and change everything in the gasket set I got from Dennis Kirk. I'm having a hell of a time, though, getting the cylinder block gasket off the bottom of the block where it is currently residing. I got everything clean around the perimeter of the block where it is flat, but the cylinder linings stick out the bottom in the center of the block and prevent me from getting anything in there to remove the gasket. I've tried soaking the gasket in everything I have in my cabinet, but the old gasket remains in a ceramic-like state. Any of you brainy folks have a solution for me?

I just went through the exact same thing. I got a can of spray gasket remover from the local auto parts store (Salvos). There were some very scary warnings on the can about the stuff causing brain damage and mutant kids but I used it anyway. It took 5 or 6 applications and very patient scraping with a single edge razor knife to get it clean. Be sure to wear rubber gloves!

Comment

Originally posted by bj
      I just went through the exact same thing. I got a can of spray gasket remover from the local auto parts store (Salvos). There were some very scary warnings on the can about the stuff causing brain damage and mutant kids but I used it anyway. It took 5 or 6 applications and very patient scraping with a single edge razor knife to get it clean. Be sure to wear rubber gloves!
      I guess I'll be ok to use this stuff. My brain is already damaged and I'm done having kids and they are muntants anyway. I wonder if that's some of the stuff I snorted back in the '60's

Comment

Hmmmm, mutant childern, eh?? I'll check out this Salvos.

Comment

Re: How do I get this freakin gasket off?

Originally posted by qslim
          ...I've tried soaking the gasket in everything I have in my cabinet, but the old gasket remains in a ceramic-like state. ...
          The active ingredients in gasket removers contain ingredients also found in paint strippers. For instance, I have a spray can of Permatex gasket remover in which the active ingredient is methylene chloride, commonly found in paint strippers. If you have some paint stripper at home, it may be more precise and less messy to paint some on the gasket surface and wait for the chemicals to soften it. As bj has experienced, it may take more than one application.

Be sure to read the instructions and confirm that it is safe to use on aluminum. Don't use a lye-based (sodium hydroxide) caustic alkali paint stripper, which is harmful to aluminum among other things. A gel type stripper which is compatible with aluminum would be a good choice.

Again, take the warning label seriously. This is very nasty stuff. 8O

See What you should know about using paint strippers for further information.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw

I'm done having kids and they are muntants anyway.
            Thanks for the help identifying that creature who walks around my house, eats my food, always asks for money, and has hair longer than I had in the 60's. At least now I know what it is. :roll:

Comment

I guess I'll be ok to use this stuff. My brain is already damaged and I'm done having kids and they are muntants anyway.
              LOL :P :P :P
              Dude, you are halarious! This made me crack up!

Comment

gasket removal

well, although they are kinda expensive, the 3M roloc [?] pads for removing gaskets work very well. (wierd colors, go on a high speed die grinder) just be sure to get the right one. there is one for steel, one for Al or steel, and one just for Al. For lack of options i used the middle one and i thought it could have been a little gentler on the aluminum, but i think if it was any softer it would have trouble on the gasket material.
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                X