82 Suzuki GS450L Dumbest fuel problem ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tighthead
    Since it's easy, I would take a look at your plugs. Just ground the plug against your engine block and look at the spark. If there's not much there, change the plugs.

Then make sure your battery is strong.

I would do that before you try to pull off the carbs.

Good luck to you.
    Thanks, man. I just recharged the battery while I was cleaning the petcock, so I know it's at 100%. I will check the plugs next, as soon as I buy a bigger sparkplug socket, my standard one doesn't fit the bike plugs, oddly.

Comment

Sounds to me like a beautiful explanation of the logic for inline fuel filters. Lots of input in both camps on this one, but to me, an inline fuel filter prevents that crud and sediment clogging the tiny screen inside your float bowl. Remove and clean or toss the inline fuel filter and install a new one and go wrinkle some pavement. Without the inline filter, the sediment clogs the needle valve seat screens. (Remove the carbs, partially disassemble and clean. HOPE you get it all). Reassemble and try it again. Repeat as necessary

Comment

you can probably at least get to the drain bolt on the float bowl of your carbs. try opening that first and see how much rust sediment you have there. if it's a lot, you might get away with merely pulling the carbs and cleaning the bowls and maybe some orifices to get started. I did with my 650 and it slowly came around over a year, after cleaning all that and replacing the tank. saved actually rebuilding the whole schebang

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
          you can probably at least get to the drain bolt on the float bowl of your carbs. try opening that first and see how much rust sediment you have there. if it's a lot, you might get away with merely pulling the carbs and cleaning the bowls and maybe some orifices to get started. I did with my 650 and it slowly came around over a year, after cleaning all that and replacing the tank. saved actually rebuilding the whole schebang
          I will give this a try this week sometime. Thanks for the idea.

The crappy part is that I can barely ride the thing, I'm still learning! I should be out practicing, not futzing with the carbs. Very frustrating.

Comment

Been there done that partner! Exactly the same position I was in this summer. Keep at it. You'll get it going.

Comment

Originally posted by ccratin
              Been there done that partner! Exactly the same position I was in this summer. Keep at it. You'll get it going.

Thanks for the encouragement, man. I got the plates and passed my learner's permit test today, so now I am REALLY itching to have this thing fixed.

Comment

Here is a quick help that MAY end up curing your problem if its not too bad...at least it worked for me. Get some Gumout Carb cleaner and pour a little into your tank. Don't use the whole bottle and make sure you have a full tank of good gas. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottle should work. I've used it as insurance to make sure my carbs were cleaned before and it worked fine. Just don't use it too often so you don't harm any of your rubber inside the carb.
                1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

So I got it running! It turns out I did solve the fuel problem when I cleaned the petcock valve, but I had another problem that was related: my plugs were all fouled up. I bought new plugs, popped them in, and VROOM!

I spent the day out on the road, where it was 68 and sunny here in NC. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Comment

Good to hear! Now that it's running...you'll be joining us at our GSR Rally in Western NC later this year? Click the link in my signature.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                      Good to hear! Now that it's running...you'll be joining us at our GSR Rally in Western NC later this year? Click the link in my signature.

~Adam

Well, it sounds awesome, but we'll have to see where my skill level is by this summer, I'm just starting out. I'm still conquering my fear of going over 45mph, so right now the Tail of the Dragon sounds a bit out of my league. We'll see how I feel by June! Thanks for the invite Adam!

Comment

Now it's time to look at windsheilds, saddlebags, etc...
                        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

You've got the perfect learning bike. I learned to ride on it too! Good luck and be careful . . . they are all out to get you! :-|

Comment

Working...
                          X