How to mount this Napolean mirror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to mount this Napolean mirror?

Are these mirrors stock on an '81 GS450? I saw a picture of an ad that looked like they were. As you see from my pictures the throttle grip extends past the end of the handlebar, so when you put the mirror in and tighten down on the screw that expands the rubber insert it locks the throttle in place. The only thing I could think of would be some kind of pipe or something that would fit inside the handle bar and extend a little past the end of the throttle.

If you can loosen the throttle bolts and slide the assembly a little further onto the bar the mirror will fit with no interference.

Comment

Tried that, but the brake mount is already at the bend in the handlebars. Wonder if someone cut back the bars at one point?

Comment

Bar-ends came on S's I think. My wife's has the cut outs for it on the bars and grips but the prev owners didn't take care of them (moved the bike in a stationwagon on its side).

I don't have the stock bars on either, so I am sorry I can't help there.

Comment

Yes, mine has the little plastic plugs for the bar ends. When I got the bike it was partially disassembled. I assumed the Napolean mirrors were aftermarket that never got put on, but then I saw an old ad for the 'S' series and it looked like it had those mirrors.
          I have an 'E' series bike I'm restoring, so I will measure the handle bars.
          I kind of doubt anyone would cut an inch off the bars and then put the handgrips back on to overlap the bar ends the same inch they just cut off!

Comment

You could always cut a bit of the throttle off to make room for the mirror.

Comment

Good point, never thought of that. But I guess I don't want the mirrors that bad!

Comment

the 450S did come with bar end mirrors (as well as gold wheels) but the bar end mirrors were very vunerable and a simple bike drop wouls snap them right off.

the 450S bar end mirrors are a rare item.

Comment

Working...
                X