Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbs off ebay are not like the ones on my bike?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs off ebay are not like the ones on my bike?????

I got another set of carbs for my 79GS1000L off ebay last week with plans to use them as 1. spare parts 2. to learn how to tear down, clean, and put back together the right way, before taking the ones off the bike and having it out of commission for a long time. Well, tore them down and have been cleaning them, including using a carb dip. I am almost through with all four now.
    However, these carbs are not the same as the ones on my bike. These were advertised as being off a 79GS1000L just like mine, and I was told by my mech that he didn't think the ones on my bike were OEM. Keith Krause also mentioned responding to one of my other post that my carbs may be non OEM. Does anyone know by looking at the pics what I may have and which ones are the stock ones and what the other may have come off of.

Thanks,

Richard

Also, all four of the carbs off ebay do not have "pilot fuel screws" like the ones shown in the GS Resources "VM Carb Rebuild" guide posted by Paul Musser. I don't remember if the ones on my bike have the pilot fuel screws or not. I plan on getting into those carbs soon to try and see if #3 is clogged somewhere causing number #3 header to be cool.

How do I get the diplayed picture to be larger on the post? It is a resonably large jpg on photo bucket.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by gwhunran
      How do I get the diplayed picture to be larger on the post? It is a resonably large jpg on photo bucket.

Richard

Here you go:

The carb in your hand looks like it may be a smoothbore to me?

Comment

Additional info:

There is no locknut, sync adjustment, and screw at the top of the slide assembly lever. There is only a bolt at the top. The same set up on all four slide assemblies.

Comment

Richard

If your #3 exhaust pipe is cool compared to the other, it may not be gettin any spark. If the carb is dirty or clogged it would be running lean which would make it hotter!

Gary

Comment

I have removed #3 plug and reattached the wire, grounding the plug to the head and it seems to put out plenty of spark. I have posted about setting the timing on a Dyna-S electronic ignition. I know 1&4 are good, but I'm not sure about 2&3. Number two header gets plenty hot. Can the timing cause #3 header to be cool and #2 to be hot as #1&4? The engine does not run rough at all. The bike seems to have lots of power.

What is the difference between a smoothbore carb and the stock carbs on 79 GS1000s.

Comment

They look similar to my 1977 GS750 Carb's. I'll go out to the garage and get mine and have a look. Do you have more pictures?

Comment

Ebay carb pictures before cleaning

Bottom view
                Slide View

Comment

Carbs on the bike now look exactly like these posted here, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...r=asc&start=15

Richard

Comment

The carbs on your bike look like the stock 26mm to me. Thanks for the pic' enlargement Mark. I said in an earlier post that they may not be only because I couldn't see the shadowed float bowl well in that post.
                    The carb in your hand appears to be a Mikuni 33mm smoothbore. Close up of the carb shows obvious pitting and corrosion. Almost certainly will never run well, if you were inclined to try them.
                    Just for your info, the 33's could be very difficult to jet well and don't have very good "street manners". They tend to be for racing/hard riding vs all around driveability.
                    They work best with pod/pipe/overbore/cam/ported head mods. Just pods/pipe is kind of wasting them. They're for a motor that can really breath well.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith, thanks for the info about the ebay carbs. Oh well, I did learn quite a bit taking them apart and cleaning them up. Later in the week, I will open one of them up again and take some pictures of them cleaned up. They cleaned up suprising well. I think most of what you are seeing in pictures is just gunk that all came off in the clean-up. One of them did have some surface pitting on the outside near the top, that I think is just cosmetic and shouldn't affect function. I have no desire to try and make them work on my bike after what you just posted.
                      I may try and see if another member has a use for them.

Thanks again,

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by gwhunran
                        Keith, thanks for the info about the ebay carbs. Oh well, I did learn quite a bit taking them apart and cleaning them up. Later in the week, I will open one of them up again and take some pictures of them cleaned up. They cleaned up suprising well. I think most of what you are seeing in pictures is just gunk that all came off in the clean-up. One of them did have some surface pitting on the outside near the top, that I think is just cosmetic and shouldn't affect function. I have no desire to try and make them work on my bike after what you just posted.
                        I may try and see if another member has a use for them.

Thanks again,

Richard

I thought that is what they looked like but I couldn't be sure. I am putting a set of those on my bike which has all the mods Keith mentioned and could maybe use them for spare parts? I'd be curious what you would want for them? If your sure you wont use them and are interested in letting them go send me a Private message or email.

Comment

From that one close up pic', I see corrosion damage. Most likely from water sitting in them/contact a long time. Show a couple more if you would, but I see the pitting/corrosion. Impossible really, that the damage would only be there and not throughout the carbs. Total inspection needed.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

After another peek....PLEASE don't try to use these carbs! Just telling you the truth.

Comment

Posting pics of carbs after cleaning. I will post four time, each new post will be pics of a different carb. Starting with #1:

Carb number 2 pics coming shortly. It takes some time to take the pics, download them to laptop, compress them, post them on photobucket, and then link them to a GS Resource post.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X