Longer shocks - '83 GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer shocks - '83 GS1100ED

I'm going to be replacing the shocks on my '83 GS1100ED. I've decided to go with the Ikons because I want the adjustability and the ability to rebuild. I'm also thinking about getting them longer than stock to quicken the steering. I'm thinking of getting one-inch longer than stock. Has anyone here installed longer shocks on an 1100E or any other GS? If so I'd like to know how much longer than stock you used and how it worked out. I'd hate to spend that much money and have it cause problems.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

What shocks do you have on the bike Joe, I need a more robust pair. Email me if they're still decent.

Regarding the height thing, I never measured my Progressive 14 versus the stock shock, but the manual said it was longer and would quicken the steering. Was it one inch longer, probably not. I think that might be excessive...

~Adam

Comment

i think e.d. are 13.5 inches

Comment

I'm running 13.5 Works Performance Street Trackers which are supposedly .5 longer than stock on my 83 Katana 1100.

The alternator cover was grounding on left hand turns with the stockers. I removed some material with a file and hacksaw on my side stand bracket to give more room.

The alternator grounding happened at a track day and the following year I had the Works on and didn't touch anything.

It feels like the steering is a bit quicker, but getting around the 19'' hoop still takes awhile turning in.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          What shocks do you have on the bike Joe, I need a more robust pair. Email me if they're still decent.

Regarding the height thing, I never measured my Progressive 14 versus the stock shock, but the manual said it was longer and would quicken the steering. Was it one inch longer, probably not. I think that might be excessive...

~Adam
          Adam,

Mine are the original shocks. With 33K miles on them they're pretty sacked out. I want to keep them anyway in case I decide to return the bike to stock some day.

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I've got the original ones on mine too...at least it has dampening adjustment and preload, the 550 only had preload.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk
              I'm running 13.5 Works Performance Street Trackers which are supposedly .5 longer than stock on my 83 Katana 1100.

The alternator cover was grounding on left hand turns with the stockers. I removed some material with a file and hacksaw on my side stand bracket to give more room.

The alternator grounding happened at a track day and the following year I had the Works on and didn't touch anything.

It feels like the steering is a bit quicker, but getting around the 19'' hoop still takes awhile turning in.
              That sounds pretty close. I couldn't find a spec in the service manual but I did a quick measurement and came up with 12 3/4 inches from center to center of mounting bolts.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Joe,

The stock shocks are 13" eye to eye. I have +1" Ikon's on my bike with no problems. I also spec'd heavier springs than they normally use. I actually went one too far for my weight (165lb) and have a bit too high of a rate, but it has not proven to be an issue. The ride is very firm, but controlled and not harsh. I am running BT-45 tires and have had no stability issues. The handling is definitely faster, it feels like the bike shed about 50lb with the higher back end. About the only issue is that the seat is now TALL. I am 5'-9" with a 32" inseam and I am on tip toes at stops now. It is not an issue for me, but some people like to be able to flat foot both feet at stops and I am no where near that.

BTW, Ikon did a custom build for the extra length and charged ~$50AUD for it (I think it was, I'm going from memory). Customer service was excellent and the quality of the shocks is very good.

Mark

Comment

What was the total price for the Ikon then? What is the original price for them? Buy direct from Ikon?

~Adam

Comment

I have received the Ikons and they are on the GS. My measurements were 12.75" for the stock shocks. Ikon said they could make them a bit longer for no extra charge. I asked them to make them as long as they could without extra charge and the came out to be 13.75". First Timer and I ordered together so we saved some $$$ on shipping. Our cost was $353 USD each. Since I'm about twice Ryan's weight we got different springs and the difference is very noticeable. One benefit of the longer shocks is that the bike now practically puts itself on the centerstand. One downfall is that it is hard to get the front wheel more than an inch off the ground for maintenence.

By the way, the customer service at Ikon is OUTSTANDING. Between Ryan and me Geoff at Ikon must have answered twenty Emails. He even sent pics of the shocks after they were assembled.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Good to hear it went okay. I honestly may go down the Progressive Series 12 road because they're $100 cheaper...and I'm that frugal.

We may have to swap 1100's at the Rally in June and see how they compare. I have KZ 1100 bars on mine, btw.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                        Good to hear it went okay. I honestly may go down the Progressive Series 12 road because they're $100 cheaper...and I'm that frugal.

We may have to swap 1100's at the Rally in June and see how they compare. I have KZ 1100 bars on mine, btw.

~Adam
                        I'm installing the Race Tech Cartridge Emulators now. Between these and the Ikons I'm hoping to have one of the best handling GS's out there. I've heard great things about both Ikon and Race Tech.

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by AOD

~Adam
                          Adam,

Progressive 12" series are much less than $250 if you look in the right place. I don't have my notes with me here at the office, but I think you could put together a set of 12 series from MAW for about $190. If you get into the 412's, that's when you start breaking $250+.

Joe,
                          Could you post some pics with your shiny new Ikons installed? [-o<

-J
                          Last edited by jonr; 02-23-2006, 01:01 PM.
                          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Originally posted by jonr
                            Joe,
                            Could you post some pics with your shiny new Ikons installed? [-o<

-J
                            Yes, I can do that. I'll try to get some pics in the next day or two....

Okay, here's a pic:

Joe
                            Last edited by Joe Nardy; 02-24-2006, 12:13 AM.
                            IBA# 24077
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

OOOOOHhh, those are perty! Thanks for the pic Joe (it loads really slow by the way!).

J
                              16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                              13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                              78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                              Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                              02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                              X