No announcement yet.

Electrex vs. ElectroSport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 83 1100E and the 85 1150E both use a G-2 stator.

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
    I checked the Electrex website and they say there were two different stators used:

There were two sizes fitted, one has diameter of 103mm (4") which is part number G2, and the other has a diameter of 93mm (approximately 3.5"), part number G1. Please identify which you need and we will confirm price including shipping. Please confirm your address.

Regards
    Peter Houghton
    Electrex World Limited

Does anyone know what size the '83 GS1100ED uses?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      My 83 1100E and the 85 1150E both use a G-2 stator.

Earl

I checked the Electrex website and they say there were two different stators used:

There were two sizes fitted, one has diameter of 103mm (4") which is part number G2, and the other has a diameter of 93mm (approximately 3.5"), part number G1. Please identify which you need and we will confirm price including shipping. Please confirm your address.

Regards
      Peter Houghton
      Electrex World Limited

Thanks,
      Joe
      Thank you Earl!

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        I'm a cheap sob & use an old Honda reg So I have no opinion
        ......or problems either if yours works as well as mine.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Regards
          Peter Houghton
          Electrex World Limited

Thanks,
          Joe
          The Electrex UK part references are incomplete. I once made an inquiry to them on the same subject and it seems that they don't know themselves which parts should be fitted. :?

On the other hand, the Electrosport Suzuki Parts clearly shows the stator for your bike to be a ESG020, which is the counterpart of the Electrex UK G2. Just as Earl said.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I went with the Rick's R/R because of the sweet price and great customer service. There was some confusion on the website as to which part number was correct for my bike. I sent Rick an e-mail last night asking about it. He replied to me FROM HOME, agreed the website was confusing, answered the question, and changed the description on the website to be less confusing. I'm very impressed with Jeff at Z1 Enterprises and would do business with him in a second.

I checked prices for the Electrex stator at Electrex UK ($112), ElectroSport ($119) and BikeBandit ($126). Since I'm an AMA member, BikeBandit gives me a 6% discount which made their price $119. Since I'm already ordering some fun stuff from them there wasn't an additional shipping charge so I added it to the BikeBandit order.

Thanks again to all who posted their valuable knowledge,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

The biggest enemy of any R/R is heat. My electrex got so hot at times it was untouchable. voltage dropped as the temp rose. adding the often mentioned computer fan on top of it has eliminated the heat problem hence the voltage drop. might think about that with any R/R you replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Cycler
                The biggest enemy of any R/R is heat. My electrex got so hot at times it was untouchable. voltage dropped as the temp rose. adding the often mentioned computer fan on top of it has eliminated the heat problem hence the voltage drop. might think about that with any R/R you replace.
                Yes, I am definitely going to add a fan. How did you mount yours to the R/R? Do you have the fan blowing at the R/R or pulling hot air away from it?

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

...I checked prices for the Electrex stator at Electrex UK ($112)...
                  Joe,

When I check the price for a G02 stator at Electrex UK, the price in US dollars is $88.20 plus $16.20 shipping, for a total of $104.40. There is no VAT charged on export items. I think that this is the correct price.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                    ...I checked prices for the Electrex stator at Electrex UK ($112)...
                    Joe,

When I check the price for a G02 stator at Electrex UK, the price in US dollars is $88.20 plus $16.20 shipping, for a total of $104.40. There is no VAT charged on export items. I think that this is the correct price.
                    I e-mailed them and got this response just yesterday:

Hi Joe

The cost of the G2 including shipping is £64.00 (approximately US$112.00).

You can order via our website at www.electrexworld.co.uk, by fax, email or telephone. In addition to your address we will need your telephone number and credit or debit card details.

Regards
                    Lesley Houghton
                    Electrex World Limited
                    Tel: **44 (0)1491 682369
                    Fax: **44 (0)1491 682286
                    We manufacture 90% of our products including generators, regulator rectifiers, stator kits, ignition and lighting coils, for modern and classic motorcycles

Regardless, I've already ordered it from Bike Bandit for $7 more. I don't mind giving Bike Bandit my business since they give AMA members a discount. Plus if there's any problems with it I won't have to worry about returning it overseas.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Joe, I knew that you had already ordered the stator and had made a good purchase decision, but was just trying to understand why the Electrex UK price quoted to you is different from their web site. Even pricing the G02 stator in British pounds, the price on their site is £58.00 including shipping.

I am having some misgivings about Electrex UK. Not only do they not seem to understand their own product applications, but they apparently don't know their own prices. :roll:

Comment

Yes, I am definitely going to add a fan. How did you mount yours to the R/R? Do you have the fan blowing at the R/R or pulling hot air away from it?

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        I used to have a picture of it handy but the fan is larger than the Electrex RR so I just found some long screws and bolted it over the top of it drilling holes in the backing plate the RR was bolted to. The fan is set to blow air down onto the RR running cooling air across the heatsink fins. there was enough space under the cover to allow full air flow.

Comment

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          I used to have a picture of it handy but the fan is larger than the Electrex RR so I just found some long screws and bolted it over the top of it drilling holes in the backing plate the RR was bolted to. The fan is set to blow air down onto the RR running cooling air across the heatsink fins. there was enough space under the cover to allow full air flow.
                          Thanks for the info. This seems like a very simple and inexpensive modification that can save a lot of money and headaches. I'll try to take pics and do a how-to article when I do mine.

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                            Joe, I knew that you had already ordered the stator and had made a good purchase decision, but was just trying to understand why the Electrex UK price quoted to you is different from their web site. Even pricing the G02 stator in British pounds, the price on their site is £58.00 including shipping.

I am having some misgivings about Electrex UK. Not only do they not seem to understand their own product applications, but they apparently don't know their own prices. :roll:
                            Yes, they seemed a bit unsure of what they were doing. For the extra few bucks I figure I'll have better luck with Bike Bandit if there are any issues.

Thanks,
                            Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Why would the reg/rec run so hot? Is it just a poor design? Or a sign of other problems?

Comment

I suspect it has a lot to do with the resistance in the ancient wiring on these beasts. My bike is 26 years old now. I doubt a wiring harness was meant to last forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X