Electrex vs. ElectroSport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Why would the reg/rec run so hot? Is it just a poor design? Or a sign of other problems?
    The R/R is supposed to get hot when the battery is charged and there isn't a large electrical requirement for accessories. Suzukis and many other motorcycles use permanent magnet alternators. This type of alternator is is always producing power, and if the electrics don't require the surplus current generated it has to go somewhere. The R/R body is a large heat sink with cooling fins designed to absorb this excess current in the form of heat.

Corrosion/bad connections in the wiring is a much greater concern, causing heat/melting of the wires and failure of other components, including the R/R. Continually running with a bad battery can also contribute to component failure.

Comment

wouldnt just a larger reg/rec unit make more sense? I know when I bought the Ricks replacement for my bike, I looked at several options - one was a larger generic reg/rec unit - I opted for the direct replacement unit for convenience. Would I have been better off with a larger unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy
        wouldnt just a larger reg/rec unit make more sense? I know when I bought the Ricks replacement for my bike, I looked at several options - one was a larger generic reg/rec unit - I opted for the direct replacement unit for convenience. Would I have been better off with a larger unit?
        Definitely maybe. If the internal design and component quality of a larger unit are at least equal to the direct replacement unit and the bolt holes line up for easy fitting, a larger R/R would provide a larger surface for heat dissipation. It wouldn't necessarily last longer if corroded/melted wires and bad batteries remain in a charging circuit. Heat removal is not the only consideration in R/R design.

I wouldn't be concerned. Rick's R/Rs have a good reputation for quality.

Comment

Working...
        X