Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

differences between early 80's carb (850 & 1000 g's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

differences between early 80's carb (850 & 1000 g's)

Hello. I am just getting into the carb's of the project bike I picked up last summer. While trying to get the pin out of the float, I noticed that one of the support towers for the pin is cracked badly. I may have done this or it was residual from the PO. Anyway, I am looking for carb bodies and want to know if the body of an 850g would be the same as the body for a 1000g if they were both off of 1980's?

Appreciate all help.

Rick

Most 850's used 32mm carbs 1000 used 34mm carbs

Comment

Not to sound stupid, but.... what does the mm measurement actually refer to? I realize it must be something on the carb body.

Thanks Lynn for your reply.

Rick

Comment

the mm measurement is the size of the hole that the air passes through.

the 79-80 Gs550, gs650 , and gs850's used BS32SS carburators. And are 32mm carburators.

the GS1000's used BS34SS and are 34 millimeter carburators.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Thanks Nerobro. Appreciate the lesson. I've got plenty to learn and always welcome good info.

Later.

Rick

Comment

BTW, get someone to fix that for you. Will probably be as good if not better. It can be tig welded.

Comment

I agree w/ ccratin. It may be easier to fix the one you have than get another carb or set of carbs.

I noticed the post supporting the float in the #2 carb on my 850 has what appears to be a welded fix. The post has a bloated middle section that has grind marks on it, as though it was ground down after a repair.

That float was sticking, so I sanded it down a bit more...

good luck

Comment

Working...
              X