Valve Gasket - Bye Bye Japanese Supply - Hello, American Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Gasket - Bye Bye Japanese Supply - Hello, American Pie

As a do-it-yourselfer of the old school, I just had occasion to require a valve cover gasket while doing maintenance on my '80 GS1100ET. I didn't buy one in advance in anticipation of the disintegrated remains of the old gasket. I'm one of those who hates to pay $24 plus $6 shipping (per Bike Bandit - very aptly named) for a piece of flimsy cardboard. It must cost at least 10ΒΆ to make it.

Instead, I used the DIY gasket kit known as Mrs. Smith's (frozen) Apple Pie. At a sale price of $2, not only do you get the raw materials for the gasket, but as a bonus you also get 37 oz. of apple pie (reminds me of the old Cracker Jax prize). I finished the gasket last night, and it turned out fine as I knew it would. I'm still working on the pie.

I haven't has so much fun since I made an alternator cover gasket from a Hamm's beer case DIY kit, and got to drink all the bonus beer.

cutting gaskets

right on! I made alternator cover and pickup cover gaskets for my GS650L, and they work fine. Mind you, I splashed out all of $4 for a gasket material kit at NAPA - still have about $3 worth left for the future.

Comment

Wow you guys are really cheap! I'll try making mine in the future also. Thanks, Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I hate doing that crap I try to always have an assortment of gaskets on hand . WHAT you can do is use the new gasket for a pattern & then just cut one next time

Comment

I've searched my shed for possible gasket material. I found a lazer gun box ($70.00), a guitar box ($275.00), and box for a bed comforter ($200.00) that might work. So far, bike bandit is a steal!

Comment

Making your own

There is a lot to be said for making your own gasket. I have done it for years and they work fine, Just a little paitence and persistance and you have any gasket you need, of course it is in the form of a flat sheet of gasket material..

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1
              Wow you guys are really cheap! I'll try making mine in the future also. Thanks, Ray
              I prefer to think of it as being self reliant and thrifty. Even as a kid, my first experience with motorycle parts and service costs was that they were exorbitant compared to auto counterparts. Accordingly I avoid dealers and do all of my own maintenance, including tire changing and balancing. I may be "cheap" about some things, but I always buy high quality when it's a safety related item such as leathers, tires, brakes, helmets, etc.

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              I hate doing that crap I try to always have an assortment of gaskets on hand . WHAT you can do is use the new gasket for a pattern & then just cut one next time.
              Actually, I don't make gaskets for pleasure, and neither do I mount tires for that reason. On the other hand, I do feel good when I finish. 8) For me, its simply part of being an elemental motorcycle rider, one that has a working relationship to the machine and its economical repair and maintenance.

If I had a new gasket, I would use it, but not for a pattern. I prefer to make the gasket using the cover as a template for a ball point outline. New paper gaskets are pretty flimsy for a reliable template. It's much easier to locate, fix and drill the bolt holes without tearing them when the cover is pressed over the gasket material. Once the bolt holes are drilled and the critical exterior of the gasket is defined, as ChuckB has mentioned, all it takes is a little patience to finish it off.

Comment

Working...
              X