Jetting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting question.

Well, I am finally into my carbs on my 1983 GS-650-GD.

As far as I can tell everything is stock except for the main jet which is a #150 and the pilot jet which is a #42 instead of a #42.5. The main jet has a capital R followed by a box with a smaller box in the lower left corner of it (What kind of jet is this?). I have done some investigation and this jet, either way you slice it (dynojet, factory, mikuni, ect ect), is WAY too huge for this bike. The factory calls for a #110 stock. I also put new needles and seats in them and reset the float to the factory spec, PER FACTORY SPEC (on the rounded area of the float instead of the flat part). They were adjusted to the flat spots which would have been far too rich.

Here is the set-up: Bone stock engine, Emgo pods, and MAC 4-1 exhaust.

I am thinking of modifying the MAC exhaust by taking the funky overlapped pipe, restrictive baffle insert out of it. Then welding in a straight pipe between the two end caps, drilling holes in the pipe and adding packing like a true muffler. ( I got this tip from a fellow GSer)

Anyway, where would I need to start on my jetting/settings?
    If anyone needs anymore information just let me know.

Thanks very much in advance.

jet kit

before I got smoothbores I found dyno jet kit stage 2 with individual K&N filters worked well with 4-1 and she was maint.free and reliable

Comment

It may just be a non stock jet the aftermarket jets are marked different sometimes

Comment

Alrighty.

With the information givin about my setup, can anyone kinda give me a starting place on my jetting? This is the first time I have ever played with jetting on motorcycles so I am new to this.

I also read something about drilling the slide, is this something that I would need to do? How do I know if I need to do it?

I noticed dynojet made a stage 3 kit for 81-82 650's, should I go with that? What would be the difference in the 81-82 and my '83? Is the stage 3 too much for my setup?

I just need a good starting point along with some help from some guys that have done this before. The local shops want nothing to do with me, and I dont want to go screwing with the jetting/drilling slides ect ect untill I have a good starting point and an idea where I need to go with it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

Here are the stock specs for my bike, if this helps.
          Thanks again.

GS 650 GD (83)

idle r/min 1100-+/-100r/min
          carb mik bs32ss (4 seprate carbs)
          id no 34300
          bore size 32 (1.26)
          float height 22.4.+/-1.0 (0.88 +/-0.04)
          fuel level 5.0+/-0.5 (0.20 +/-0.04)
          main jet #110
          main air jet 2.0
          jet needle 5C45
          needle jet Y-7
          pilot jet #42.5
          throttle valve #135
          by pass 0.8, 0.7, 0.8
          pilot outlet 0.7
          valve seat 2.0
          starter jet #45
          pilot screw pre-set (1.5 turns back (mixture screw))
          pilot air jet #160
          throttle cable play 0.5-1.0 (0.02-0.04)
          choke cable play 0.5-1.0 (0.02-0.04)

Comment

jetting

Back away from the drill and call this #1-800-992-4993 dynojet research
            site www.dynojet.com you can request support and discuss the proper installation of jet kit part #3310 (80-82 gs 650's) should work also for 83.ask them about performance of hp gains for stage2 or 3 regarding your indiviual current set up on bike. Goodluck and keep us posted.
            side note* sudco is a good parts supplier so check them out too.

Comment

Working...
            X