I got my dual sport tires put on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my dual sport tires put on

I replaced my tires with Ching Shen dual sports for the winter and I'm already enjoying them. The only problem with the dual sports is that when riding below 10km/h it feels like you're riding down a corduroy road.

There sure is a big difference between a used rear tire and a new one. My old bridgestone R11 had tons of tread on it but it had worn almost flat across. It was so bad that I couldn't counter steer unless going through really really sharp turns. In fact, when on the highway the bike would refuse to react to my tugging on the bars. If it was a dual compound I bet I could have gotten 25,000km out of it. Seriously, after after having about 15,000km there is still lots of tread in the centre but the darn thing is just dangerous because it won't let me steer...

Oh yeah, one other thing. I paid 125$CDN for the tires and another 125$ to have them installed!!!! :twisted: :twisted: Unless you are like me and only have one mode of transportation only bring your wheels in for tire changes. Having to pull the wheels was the biggest cost (I paid straight labour plus one inner tube).

Steve

You seriously got SCREWED! 8O I put a new sheng shin on the back of my bike, the tire was $100 or so and the dealer put it on for $15 more and took it to the local firestone to balance it for $7 more. $125 to mount a tire is criminal.

Comment

I'd be in the parking lot next door, pulling the wheels off, spooning on tires is easy, I recently did an auto type trailer tire in the woods using Brakeleen as an explosive to seat the beads on the rim

Comment

I did mine myself.....It is no problem at all

Comment

I won't get into the reasons why I had the tires put on for me but everybody here obviously understood my warning.

Bring the wheels in yourself.

In Ontario bike mechanics are worth 60$/hour so it costs a fortune.

Steve

Comment

While, I prefer to do things myself, the original post mentioned it was his only transportation- ie he didnt have the luxury of taking the time to do it himself, even removing the wheels from the bike would have saved a bundle.
            Im going to be in a similar dilemma when i get a new rear tire. dont know if i want to risk not having it back on perfectly straight and aligned. then again, im not certain the shop is capable of doing it right either.....

Comment

Getting the tire on is easy.

I was able to get an Avon on mine without any tools. Just make sure the bead is not partialy seated and the tire will shift to one side enough to let you push it on.

Comment

Steve:

At $60/hour, I agree with the comment " You got screwed".

It should not take two hours for a competent mechanic to do the job.

Took me about 25 minutes to get the rear wheel off my shafty....it's a bit tricky, and maybe 10 to 15 to re-instal it. (This was my first attempt with it, so I had to learn the tricks as I went)

Front wheel was off in 2 or 3 minutes, and went back on in about a minute more, as you have to fiddle with the position of the caliper to re-instal it.

I paid $30. for two tires, mounted, static balanced, then high speed machine balanced. I thought THAT price was high, but did not argue, because I only bought one tire from him, and he discounted it quite a bit.

(Bought the other one off e-Bay...brand new.) 8)
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'll give you a break down of the bill just to try and save some face. When I got it I was shocked myself...I guess I still should be.

Tube 15$
                  Labour 90$
                  -remove wheels from bike
                  -mount new tires on wheels
                  -lube up my back brake so it would stop sticking (I asked for this)
                  -sand front brake pads so they would start gripping (I asked for this)
                  -install tires
                  -stick it all back together
                  Total: 120.70 (yep, taxes were 15$)

I was there the whole time but I don't know if he was working on the bike or not...I was in the front of the store. I too could have done it in an hour and a half but I would have to worry about people ripping off my tools or parts of my bike if I had to leave the bike for a minute if I found out I needed something from my apartment. I would have needed to get the wheels removed for a balance anyway...

If there was a mechanics helper about it would have been a lot cheaper since they get paid less per hour. I had to get the mechanic to do it.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X