Really want to keep it original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really want to keep it original

I know a lot of you will think I'm crazy but I want to keep my 83 GS850 original. Of course the mufflers are the problem. I've looked everywhere for a decent set to replace them but that's like trying to win the lottery. They both have holes and the left side is beyond repair. I just can't bring myself to pulling the carbs,air box, installing 4 into 1 and rejetting the carbs. I just did that to my 81 KZ750 LTD and it's not hard to do and runs great. It looks good with that set-up. The GS looks sexy just the way it is and I want to keep that look. If I pull the air box and add filters, there goes the chrome on the air box. I've talked to several salvage yards and every on-line shop I could find,
    There has to be a set out there somewhere. Any suggestions?

just because you change the exhaust, you don't have to change the air box, I didn't.
    good stock pipes are hard to find and when they come up on E-bay they tend to sell pretty high.

I was in the same boat, mine were beyond help, I ended up caving in and ordering a MAC HTS 4-1 pipe.
    I originally wanted to stay with a 4-2 pipe for the symmetry, bur found the only 4-2 pipe still in production was the MAC system with turn outs and I did not like the look of them.

I do like the sound of the HTS and am learning to live with having the left side naked.

Comment

It's not the end of the world. You can cut the old muffler off & bolt on an aftermarket type Check the www.jcwmotorcycle.com lot of different types. Or you could do what some other forum members have done & adapt some stock Harley mufflers

Comment

Thanks for the input. If I do bite the bullet and go 4 into 1 you don't think I'll have to worry about running lean? I could get creative I guess but the #4 header pipe looks like$*@&. I keep looking.

Comment

Keep checking E-bay and Craigslist and save your pennies. They come around every once in a while, but can be $$$$$$.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Mighty MO!

What do you think abou the set at the bottom of this page?

245.95 Pounds = $432.17 USD , Nice chunk of change, but I bet a new set like that would look SWEET on that GL of yours.

Good luck.

Comment

I was browsing Z1 Enterprises and found this $299 Vance & Hines system for the GS850:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. That set in the UK looked sweet. I asked if anyone in the States carried them. I'd swim the Atlantic for them but I'm lazy and wouldn't make off the beach.

I've about decided to cut the old ones off, get the pipes plated and weld a JC set on. It's either that or I get lucky and find some or I do the 4 into 1 deal. I'll keep looking. I can always take them off and restore it at a later date. I'm just itching to get her back on the road without rejetting the carbs.

Comment

Working...
                X