went one hotter on plug is this ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went one hotter on plug is this ok

i wnet one hotter on plugs because champion dont sale what my gs 750 neeeds got tired of the ngk b8es fouling. is this okay thnaks.

Re: went one hotter on plug is this ok

One heat range hotter probably will not cause any harm, but its a case of treating the symptom rather than solving the problem. If plugs are fouling, something is wrong. It could be carb setup/adjustment and tuning, a low voltage or electrical component, or it could be an oil leak or a compression and gasket problem. I would try to determine what is causing the fouling.

Earl

Originally posted by odl777
    i wnet one hotter on plugs because champion dont sale what my gs 750 neeeds got tired of the ngk b8es fouling. is this okay thnaks.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

NGK just dont last long

they were fine but just got tired of using NGKS because they dont last long thanks for the reply

Comment

Re: NGK just dont last long

Originally posted by odl777
        they were fine but just got tired of using NGKS because they dont last long thanks for the reply
        I'll be very surprised if champion plugs will perform as well or as long as the NGKs 8O As Earl stated...something else is going on if you're fouling B8's and should be checked out and corrected.

Comment

NGK B8-ES spark plugs have been conclusively and definitively proven to easily last at least 12,000 miles on a properly running GS. Most of us change them once a year, but only because we need something to do. Heck, they're only $1.79 each at Advance Auto.

Anyway, the NGK plugs definitely ain't the problem. They're simply collecting the evidence of the problem for you. Changing the heat range won't make the least bit of difference with fouling.

If you know it's just running a little rich or burning a little oil and you'd rather just ride the bike and screw in new plugs every so often, that's definitely understandable and reasonable.

But if you don't know why the plugs are fouling, it would be best to track the problem down ASAP in case it's something more serious.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've got over 20,000 on my NGK B8ES plugs since my rebuild 6 years ago. They look fine. Something else as stated above is causing the problem.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

IMHO, the only thing that champions work well in is chrysler products. Ive been an auto-tech since the late 80s and have found over the years that engines like the plugs they were designed for. so your GM product gets ac-delcos, german cars typically get Bosch, ford gets autolite, and your GS need NGKs or Nippondensos. The engineers that designed the ignition system did so with the plugs that got used in the car, and any changing brands usually leads to decreased performance of the system.

Secondly, the heat range of the plug is one of the most misunderstood aspects of tuning IMO. it is not a hotter spark as many people believe, its simply a measure of how fast the center electrode can transfer its heat to the cylinder head. alot of times screwing in a hotter plug will just lead to preignition as the electrode runs too hot. the hotter plug is usually only adviseable for use in extreme cold conditions.

go back to stock plugs, or the ND equivelant, and remedy the initial problem. I can't tell you how many times taking the wrong plugs out and putting the correct plugs in have fixed minor driveability issues in a vehicle, but enough times Im willingto follow manufacturers recommendations on the matter.

to echo earlier comments, if you are fouling plugs, something else is wrong with your bike. otherwise you should only haveta replace the plugs when the electrodes are burnt down to the point they are out of spec. many thousands of miles for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by LW_Icarus
                IMHO, the only thing that champions work well in is chrysler products. Ive been an auto-tech since the late 80s and have found over the years that engines like the plugs they were designed for. so your GM product gets ac-delcos, german cars typically get Bosch, ford gets autolite, and your GS need NGKs or Nippondensos. The engineers that designed the ignition system did so with the plugs that got used in the car, and any changing brands usually leads to decreased performance of the system.
                ??????????? :roll:

Comment

Hi

My Gs1000 run fine on "BERU Z-38" :P :P :P

Comment

Working...
                  X