Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad battery affects idle?

problem this morning...

I was going to ride my bike to work, but have a weird problem...

The battery was dead, I put a voltmeter on it and it showed 6 volts. The last time I rode it was Sunday and didn't have any problems. I used my charger to jump start it and it started right up. It also showed 13.XX volts at idle.

But, when I rode off, it wouldn't idle. It didn't seem to be down on power, but when idling, the idle speed would slowly decrease until the engine died. It would then immediately restart (even without a jumpstart), but wouldn't idle.

On Sunday when I rode, it didn't do this at all.

Could a bad cell on the battery cause this problem?

Re: bad battery affects idle?

Yes, a bad battery, low capacity will cause that problem. The ignition system runs directly from the battery. The charging system replaces energy in the battery. At idle rpm, the charging system does not supply the amperage required to run the engine. (not the same thing as voltage)

Earl

Originally posted by stecz
    problem this morning...

I was going to ride my bike to work, but have a weird problem...

The battery was dead, I put a voltmeter on it and it showed 6 volts. The last time I rode it was Sunday and didn't have any problems. I used my charger to jump start it and it started right up. It also showed 13.XX volts at idle.

But, when I rode off, it wouldn't idle. It didn't seem to be down on power, but when idling, the idle speed would slowly decrease until the engine died. It would then immediately restart (even without a jumpstart), but wouldn't idle.

On Sunday when I rode, it didn't do this at all.

Could a bad cell on the battery cause this problem?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'll second what Earl has said. I had a similar problem on my 1100 when I first got it. Buy a new battery and look for a tender (around $20). You should notice an instant difference.

Brad tt

Comment

Thanks, I'll pick up a battery on the way home. I have a good automatic battery charger that I can use to charge the battery. Hopefully I'll drive it often enough that it will stay charged.

John

Comment

Do not charge a motorcycle battery at a rate greater than 2 amps. A charge rate of 1 to 1.5 amps is ideal.

Earl

Originally posted by stecz
          Thanks, I'll pick up a battery on the way home. I have a good automatic battery charger that I can use to charge the battery. Hopefully I'll drive it often enough that it will stay charged.

John
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Personal Testimony: A Marginal Battery Makes as GS Deliver Marginal Performance! I changed to a Gel Battery and it Felt Like I found a few more horses in the Old Girl! (80GS850G)
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I put a standard energizer battery in and now it idles fine... I guess the battery decided to take a dump after my ride on Sunday...

Comment

Working...
              X