gas leaking from the fuelcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas leaking from the fuelcock

After cleaning the gas tank, I put the fuelcock back on the tank. But gas was leaking from the fuelcock. What am I going to do? Can I still get the parts for fixing this problem ( I mean o-ring, etc) for 1981 GS550TX from local motorcycle shops?

Get a rebuild kit

I went to newmotorcycleparts.com and got a petcock rebuild kit. You should also change your oil. a leaky petcock could leak fuel down into the crank case. This is not dangerous, but I changed mine becouse the thought of fuel in the oil is not good.

Have you concidered doing a Kreem coating inside your tank. I have heard some negative stories about it, but I did mine and it came out great. I have some tips on getting good results if you are interested.

Comment

Is it leaking externally from the petcock or does fuel continue to flow with the motor off? If it is a problem of fuel continuing to flow the problem is with the diaphram in the petcock. The diaphram either has a hole in it or there is a rod that pushes on the diaphram that needs adjusting. On the right side of the diaphram is a spring to return the diaphram to a position to shut down fuel flow when no vacuum is applied. On the left side is a rod with about a half loop of spring built into it. That rod is moved by the lever so the prime position allows fuel to flow. You can vary the length of that rod to get the petcock working properly again. When you take the petcock apart be careful and pull the guts straight out or you'll mangle that rod. You'll know you have it adjusted right if when there is no vacuum fuel doesn't flow. Attach a piece of vacuum line to the vacuum fitting on the petcock and suck on it. Fuel should flow with vacuum applied. It should also flow with the petcock lever in prime position.

Comment

Mr.chrisdnoel, and Mr.Billy Ricks. Thank you for the replies. It is leaking around four screws behind the petcock lever ( do you know what I mean? I dont know what it part is called ). What do I need for fixing this problem?

Comment

That's where the diaphram is located and it does double duty as the gasket for that portion of the assembly. I can't imagine why, but someone may have removed the diaphram. If it is still there and in good shape it should require nothing more that to tighten the phillips head bolts. If it is missing you have problems and will probably need to start looking for a new or used petcock. The diaphram itself will probably be hard to locate.

Comment

Working...
          X