Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has anybody tried one of these yet?

Originally posted by 8trackmind
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-20-LED-RED-car-truck-trailer-motorcycle-bulb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQitemZ803178 0470
    If it were me I'd use a white LED replacement. The light will be brighter and the license plate light remains white.

Comment

I believe a white LED behind a red lens will be much more dim than a red LED behind a red lens, but I expect that could vary considerably depending on the LED configuration. Many LED's have a narrow visibility range and for this reason, I would be cautious in using one for a tail light or turn signal.

Earl

[quote="Billy Ricks"
      If it were me I'd use a white LED replacement. The light will be brighter and the license plate light remains white.[/quote]
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I've used both white and red, liked the white better. They didn't hold up well though and I went back to a heavy duty bulb.

Comment

[quote=earlfor]I believe a white LED behind a red lens will be much more dim than a red LED behind a red lens, but I expect that could vary considerably depending on the LED configuration. Many LED's have a narrow visibility range and for this reason, I would be cautious in using one for a tail light or turn signal.

Earl

[quote="Billy Ricks"
          If it were me I'd use a white LED replacement. The light will be brighter and the license plate light remains white.[/quote]

Earl,

You're right. They strongly warn on this same eBay offering against using a white LED with a red lens, stating that the light will be absorbed by the red lens. This bulb array is claimed to have a 360° viewing angle, but I would be concerned about how much light is visible to the sides 45° off the rear axis. There are no LEDs pointing in that direction.

It might work well, but I would like to see some tests or a review of users' experience first.

Comment

[quote=Boondocks][quote=earlfor]I believe a white LED behind a red lens will be much more dim than a red LED behind a red lens, but I expect that could vary considerably depending on the LED configuration. Many LED's have a narrow visibility range and for this reason, I would be cautious in using one for a tail light or turn signal.

Earl

Originally posted by "Billy Ricks"
            If it were me I'd use a white LED replacement. The light will be brighter and the license plate light remains white.[/quote

Earl,

You're right. They strongly warn on this same eBay offering against using a white LED with a red lens, stating that the light will be absorbed by the red lens. This bulb array is claimed to have a 360° viewing angle, but I would be concerned about how much light is visible to the sides 45° off the rear axis. There are no LEDs pointing in that direction.

It might work well, but I would like to see some tests or a review of users' experience first.
            Allrighty then, I'll be the test monkey.
            Let you guys know next week how it works.

Comment

I've just purchased a tail-lite from flyincycle.com, w/ white led's. The red led doesn't seem to illuminate the tag very well, and it(my new one) seems to my eyes, brighter than the original tail-lite w/ an 1157. Brighter tail-lite and proper tag illumination....I'm OK with that.
              Hugh

Comment

I tried one from a Napa parts store and returned it. It was supposed to be brighter than a 1157 bulb, but the old bulb was a lot brighter with the taillight lens than the LED unit was without it. It wasn't identical to this one on eBay though.

Comment

Working...
                X