Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start...

Hello,

This is my first post.. cool site. I just bought a '81 GS 550, It was running last night when I bought it and even took it for a ride... Today however, it would not start. It has spark as I checked it, when I pulled the plug there was no fuel on it.. it seem like it is not getting fuel. I put it on prime and pulled the fuel line and it is getting fuel to the carb. Is there something else I can check? it was running fine yesterday? cheers.

P.S anybody have a used exhaust (stock or MAC) that they would like to sell?? the baffles are rotted.

Uhhh humor me. :-) Did you use the choke? What is the battery voltage level?

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

Yes, I used the choke and the battery was fine.

Comment

What voltage did you measure after trying to start the bike?

Earl

Originally posted by Trolleywire

Earl

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl

Earl

I put the battery on the charger tonight and I will try and start it tommorow again...will a weak battery affect starting the bike?? there was enough juice to turn it over...

Comment

starting

Fire,Fuel,Air.............don't forget this guide tracking down issues.If you got fire ,check the petcock.If the pecock appears fine and in run position or on if you have a direct flow,touchup the air filters with a little starter fluid.Only a little I repeat as its not healthy but its ok for troubleshooting.

Comment

Earl

Earl

I put the battery on the charger tonight and I will try and start it tommorow again...will a weak battery affect starting the bike?? there was enough juice to turn it over...
              Sometimes spark plugs can be good one and bad the next. Before I would use starting fluid I would remove the spark plugs and put fuel down in the holes! Starting fluid drys out the cylinder walls instantlym, allowing them to become scratched by the rings!

Comment

For sure. The starter sucks a lot of voltage from your battery and if it's marginal, your spark can be too weak to fire the plugs.

Comment

Working...
                X