Frame re-finishing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame re-finishing question

I'm in the process of a rehab on my '79 1000S....I'm planning to have the frame chemically stripped/de-rusted by a local company with a good reputation. My concern is the frame ID sticker on the steering head. It's obviously not gonna' survive the process, so where does that leave me legally? Anyone else delt with this before?
    Hugh

The VIN should be stamped into neck also....
    I'm pretty sure that's all you should need....
    Bummer to loose the decal though.

Comment

Thanks, Mach.
      I wasn't sure if the stamping went through the sticker and into the metal, but that confirms it. I agree, it's a shame to lose it, but such is progress.
      The bike's not going to be "original". Too much of "original" was lost when the bike was raced in it's early life. Passenger peg mounts hack-saw cut-off, clock/oil temp in gauge cluster now non-functioning, superbike bars installed and such. I'm very excited about the project and will try to post some pics as it starts to go back together.
      Hugh

Comment

Just a thought, what if you took some aluminum tape and cover the tag, the stuff is super sticky and may survive the acid process. once the frame is painted or powdercoated (preferably powdercoated) the tape could be peeled off or use a little Goo gone and lift the adhesive off. The tag may be preserved.

Comment

When I painted my 750, I used regular masking tape over the decal, so when I pulled it off, half the decal came off with the tape! Guess I shoulda' used the green painter's tape! ](*,)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

You might try heating it with a hair dryer & gently pealing it off

Comment

I'm gonna' try the heat-gun thing, I think that's probably my best chance. I called the stripper(metal, not clothing), and he told me that the aluminum tape wouldn't last 30 secs. Must be some baaaaddddd stuff! When it comes out of the acid dip, they have to spray it with water-soluble oil immediatly because it will be rusted again, before it's dry! The guy said the metal's surface is cleaned down to the "molecular level"; yeah, he actually said that. Thanks for all the input, everyone.
              Hugh

Comment

Just curious about the process you've decided on. Granted the frame will rust after being washed. How do remove the oil coating from frame before painting to get the paint to stick and also as soon as the metal is exposed to air won't it rust again? How will you know the oil is removed from every nook and cranny? There are products that address the rust problem such as metal prep and special coatings designed for this exact application from companies such as POR-15 for one. Could these not be used immediately after the dipping process? If you're worried about the sticker why not try taping over the sticker and bead blasting? Sorry about all the questions. Either way good luck with the project. It's great to see another "S" being loved.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

take a dig photo of the sticker. I dont know if you can get the oem, but a good print shop may beable to remake one. heck take the frame to them and see if thay can do the job. that way thay will know your not trying to steel a bike. lol

you mite be able to reporduce the sticker on your printer all you would need is a sheet of very thin aluminm paper and some glue. just print out the info then cover it with lanumation. and glue it back to the frame.

i know the spelling is off but i am late to work.

Comment

This company does alot of this type of thing for antique bike guys, and says that a couple of cans of brakleen and plenty of clean cotton rags is more than adequate for removal of any film. I've seen the oil solution he uses, and it looks like slightly cloudy water, which for the most part, it is. I've dabbled in a little painting before, so I know the importance of surface prep. Bead blasting alone, doesn't come close to the level of what this will do. There won't be ANY paint, or ANY rust residue left...period.
                    Oh, and the best part; all the saved elbow grease I'll need for polishing and cleaning all the other bits and pieces : )
                    Gremlin, I have a local print-shop that can do aluminized vinyl....I e-mailed her a pic of the sticker for her to look at. Great idea! Letcha' know how that goes. Thanks to all, again.
                    Hugh

Comment

Working...
                    X