Float pin stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float pin stuck

Hello. I'm in the process of tearing down the carbs off of my project '80 1000g. I started on carb 4, have the body stripped except for the float assy. I cannot get the float pin out. Seems the PO smacked on it, 'cause the end that is to push through had some flare on it. I ground off the flare and it still will not push through. I sprayed some WD-40 on them this morning before heading off to bed. Any ideas or slick methods?

Thanks

Rick R.

You might try a small punch. If you can get enough to stick out, then you can use some side cutters to grab the pin and pull/twist it out. Or you can use the side cutters or small needle nose and grab from the inside and try and leverage them out.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

stuck

Try placing a heavy object against the tower with the "head"(like a LARGE flat-blade screwdriver) and hold that object for support while you "gently" tap the pin out. Support it just under the head and you should be ok.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll give those ideas a shot tomorrow, well actually today.

Appreciate the replies.

Rick

Comment

Usually you can get it to come loose using a pair of side cutter pliers between the head of the pin & the carb body.. The pins are made to only go in one way If someone has ham fisted them before they can be dificult to get out. You can use a punch, make sure to support the hinge posts or you will break them. If one is broken you can us JB weld- it will last a year or two. Their is supposed to be some kind of marine epoxie that works better ????

Comment

Wow, excellent info Lynn. You are a wealth of knowledge. It does appear the one post is cracked. Could have been me, although I was trying to be delicate. Will look into the marine grade epoxy.

I'll post back when I get these guys out......

Rick

Comment

You can also sent the carb body to www.motorcyclecarbs.com & have it profesionally repaired but it will cost a lot more

Comment

Yikes, I'll say Lynn. My wife would have my arss. Hope to give it another try today after work. With the football games on, though, it may be on hold!

Thanks again.

Rick

Comment

Hi. I got the pin out, but one of the posts came with it. Have the carb dipping in Barrymans. When clean, I'll take it down the street and see if my local metal shop can tac it back on for me.

Can't wait to try the other 3 pins!

Thanks for the help.

Rick

Comment

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know, I took the carb down to my local metal shop and they tac'd the post on for me. Doesn't look pretty but it is on there good. Cost me 20 bucks.

Rick

Comment

broken post

hi Rick what kind of taking the metal shop did, do you know, I broke one and I need to repair it. I dont know how, someone mentioned marine epoxy, is there more info about that?
                      ard

Comment

Hello ard. The metal shop dude was not sure what type of metal the carb body was. If it was aluminum, then he could tac it. Happens that I was lucky, because it did weld. He had a bit of trouble "due to the old gas coming out of the metal". It isn't pretty but it is sturdy and not in the way of the float. Cheapest single carb body I found was 30 bucks (plus shipping, I think). Good luck.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X