rust in tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rust in tank

whats the best way to remove rust from a tank and keep it from coming back??
    i just put my 83' gs750es away for the winter(i live in canada, eh!) and noticed i've got the rusties in the tank. i heard that a product called
    Kreem is pretty good......................

I was at cycle salvage last week and they said there is something newer and better thant he Kreem. This company actually makes a product that will strip the old Kreem from your tank if necessary.

Steve

Comment

SO whats the name of it? Kreem will do the job, just take your time and don"t try and rush it. Put a hand full of nuts and bolts into it to loosen rust (shake it real good)during 1th washing, etching. DO it outdoors, very nasty fuems.

Comment

Re: rust in tank

Originally posted by jonathan smith
        whats the best way to remove rust from a tank and keep it from coming back??
        i just put my 83' gs750es away for the winter(i live in canada, eh!) and noticed i've got the rusties in the tank. i heard that a product called
        Kreem is pretty good......................
        Don't know where you are, but if it's cold enough to put away your bike already, then you cannot use Kreem. It needs warmth to work properly and you absolutely must NEVER use it indoors. The fumes do not just smell bad, they are quite toxic.

Take a look in the Yellow pages for radiator shops or even gas tank repair shops. I got mine done at Gas Tank Renu for CA$90., and they not only did a good job, they gave a written, two-year guarantee.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

An old trick (depending on how bad your tank is corroded) is to empty the tank, remove from the bike, remove the sender, and fill with about a pound of screws, nuts and bolts. Fill er up, and shape like hell, Remove the stuff and flush with gas. Do a few times and then flush one last time with a gas and oil mixture. Then reinstall and add an inline fuel filter.
          GY

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas

Don't know where you are, but if it's cold enough to put away your bike already, then you cannot use Kreem. It needs warmth to work properly and you absolutely must NEVER use it indoors. The fumes do not just smell bad, they are quite toxic.

Take a look in the Yellow pages for radiator shops or even gas tank repair shops. I got mine done at Gas Tank Renu for CA$90., and they not only did a good job, they gave a written, two-year guarantee.
            Hi Ron,
            Is there any risk to the finish of the tank when they remove the rust.
            Roman

Comment

Have you thought about replacing the tank? My gs650g's tank was totally rusted out. I went to T.O. cycle salvage in toronto and picked a brand new looking tank for $150! it only had a slight dent that you had to look for. It even had the suzuki parts sticker on it!

Comment

Use the Kreem. It's great.

you don't have to use any nuts and bots. Maybe a chain like from a pulley. It will come out in one piece. you'll have to position the tank in different positions to get all the sides. after you get the tank etched with the full strength acid top it off for a final etching. The most important thing is to rinse out all the rust. Rinse and agitate the hell out of it. Dont bother with the tank mask it will just rinse off. Flood it out generously and use a sponge on a stick with a sponge to get out the water. The acid can be disposed down the drain if you dilute it ten to one first. Use a hair dryer with a cold air setting to vent the tank and get the Kreem to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman
                  Originally posted by argonsagas

Hi Ron,
                  Is there any risk to the finish of the tank when they remove the rust.
                  Roman
                  Roman:

They told me paint would be fine, but I cannot say from experience, as my tank was bad when I got the bike. I had a lot of bumping to do, using a steel bar inside the tank while I hammered the outside, so I wanted the body work done first. My tank was completely stripped, body work completed, and ready for paint before the interior rust removal and reline job was done.

Try calling them and discuss it directly....they are on Martin Grove just a bit north of Rexdale Blvd. They not only offered a decent price, and the best guarantee, but they are very friendly folks, both on the phone and in person.

As mentioned....you cannot safely do the work in the house, and the weather has to be warm to do it outside. The chemicals are not a bit friendly to you or the environment.

Kreem would be cheaper, if it works the first time, but there are some things I just don't want to do, and some things I believe truly are best done by professionals. For me, this job fits both categories, and for an extra $45. the job was done and guaranteed, so it was an easy decision.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ron,
                    Money well spent.
                    I'll give them a try when the season is definitely over.

Thanks,

Roman.

Comment

Re: Use the Kreem. It's great.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
                      you don't have to use any nuts and bots. Maybe a chain like from a pulley. It will come out in one piece. you'll have to position the tank in different positions to get all the sides. after you get the tank etched with the full strength acid top it off for a final etching. The most important thing is to rinse out all the rust. Rinse and agitate the hell out of it. Dont bother with the tank mask it will just rinse off. Flood it out generously and use a sponge on a stick with a sponge to get out the water. The acid can be disposed down the drain if you dilute it ten to one first. Use a hair dryer with a cold air setting to vent the tank and get the Kreem to set up.
                      Hey that is a good idea, even a length of medium heavy gate chain or something like that would dislodge the corrosion so it could be washed away! GOod thinking!
                      GY

Comment

rust

i ended up taking the tank to a local rad shop and they did an excellent job.........
                        i like the chain idea, though........now........do you take the chain back out before going out for a ride???? or is it one of those self cleaning ideas?????

Comment

Re: rust

Originally posted by jonathan smith
                          i ended up taking the tank to a local rad shop and they did an excellent job.........
                          i like the chain idea, though........now........do you take the chain back out before going out for a ride???? or is it one of those self cleaning ideas?????
                          Boy 8O do you belong to this group or what??

Comment

I have used kreem twice with excellent success. A friend used Kreem last month and we still don't know what went wrong but it blew up in his face. Tank is ruined, hair is burn't off, face is real sunburned. I wish I knew what he did wrong because I will probably need to use it again someday and now I'm kinda nervous. Anybody have an opinion as to what could have gone wrong. Fire department claims a static spark from wool lining in jacket caused it????

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
                              I have used kreem twice with excellent success. A friend used Kreem last month and we still don't know what went wrong but it blew up in his face. Tank is ruined, hair is burn't off, face is real sunburned. I wish I knew what he did wrong because I will probably need to use it again someday and now I'm kinda nervous. Anybody have an opinion as to what could have gone wrong. Fire department claims a static spark from wool lining in jacket caused it????
                              Ouch!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X