rust in tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torgo View Post
    What I have read on the KZ400 forum and I am going to try next week when I get a chance to work on my GS650GL, is putting a couple hundred BB's in the tank and wraping it up in padding. When the wife is away put it in the dryer with enough padding to keep it from moving and letting it tumble for 30 min. NO HEAT.

We will see if this works.

lol, I knew there had to be an automotive use for a dryer.

Comment

... I am going to try next week when I get a chance to work on my GS650GL, is putting a couple hundred BB's in the tank and wraping it up in padding. When the wife is away put it in the dryer with enough padding to keep it from moving and letting it tumble for 30 min. NO HEAT.
      A friend of mine has done this by wrapping the tank in old carpet, then wedging it into a portable cement mixer and letting it run for a while. You have to re-arrange it so the material inside runs in a couple of different directions, but it works well.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just cleaned the tank for my 550E using muriatic acid and drywall screws. I think the screws might not have been necessary because when I poured out the acid and rinsed the inside it looked like new metal. Now here's the kicker.. since it took me 20 min to retrieve all the screws the tank started to rust again. I should have used compressed air to blow out the tank and immediately coated the inside with wd-40 then retrieved the screws and it would have stayed nice. Muriatic acid is mean s#!t, wear gloves, wear goggles and do it outside and be safe! Baking soda will neutralize it. It will fizz something fierce while in the tank and with the baking soda. I used an old gas cap I didn't care about and have a hose ready to rinse off whatever hits the outside of the tank or kiss your paint goodbye.
        Nate

Comment

What I have read on the KZ400 forum and I am going to try next week when I get a chance to work on my GS650GL, is putting a couple hundred BB's in the tank and wraping it up in padding. When the wife is away put it in the dryer with enough padding to keep it from moving and letting it tumble for 30 min. NO HEAT.

We will see if this works.

WOW! A 4 year old revived post.

Comment

Originally posted by DMB View Post
            WOW! A 4 year old revived post.
            The post above Torgo's might have been 4 years old, but take another look at the first post.

It's from November, 2002, making it about 5 1/2 years old.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X