clutch clatter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch clatter?

What part would make a clattering sound in the clutch in nuetral only? When I let out on the clutch it goes away It shifts and runs just fine.The clutch linkage arm does move a little bit and I can feel it thru there.Is it suppose to be tight?It doesnt effect the performance of the bike at all.I dont know if its normal or not since I have nothing,another bike that is, to compare it to. Any Ideas anyone?Everthing is adjusted to specs.

My guess is that the springs in the back of the clutch housing are loose.

Comment

after your take the clutch cover off,is it those springs? I think there is six there,the ones that hold the pressure plate on?is there more than just those?

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
        after your take the clutch cover off,is it those springs? I think there is six there,the ones that hold the pressure plate on?is there more than just those?
        NO...

The springs that rattle are at the back of the clutch hub between the hub and the primary drive gear - they act as dampers and gradually loose their spring. Generally this is not a big issue (other than the noise). It is pssible to fix, but you probably don't want to do it... it's fairly expensive.

Comment

i looked on bike bandit schematic but could not find what your talking about. This is an 83 650L. The clymers manual doesnt seem to show it either.Are they behind the sleeve hub,which of course requires a special tool to get off. Could you please look at the schematic and tell me which part it is?I havent spent much money on my bike yet so I might fix this.It just sounds kinda annoying.

Comment

The clutch hub p/n 21200-34201 is sold as a single unit - the springs are between the gear on the back of the hub and the hub itself. Suzuki does not sell the springs separately - and most people cannot disassemble and rebuild this part.

Performance companies like APE remove the rivets and rebuild the hub

Here's a link showing a clutch hub with the springs in the back of it.

Comment

If its not fixed is there a chance of ruining the engine?Is there anyway of reducing the noise like maybe using a different weight oil?Im using 10w40 suzuki oil now.Or is this something Im going to have to live with.Would new clutch springs help if they are under specs?Thanks for all your info,too,I appreciate it very much.

Comment

I have run noisy clutch baskets in several bikes - some of them much larger capacity - and never run into a problem.

If you were racing the bike constantly, I'd say get it fixed - but if you use the bike sanely on the street, I doubt if you'd ever have a problem.

I don't know of any bike that's had one fail on the street - I'm sure they are out there, but I've never encountered one.

If you ever rebuild the bike, this is an item to put on the list to find (get a good used one - much cheaper than repairing).

Comment

Thanks Jeff,you kinda put my mind at ease on this one.I will keep my eyes out for one.I love my bike and Am trying to fix it up like everyone else here on the forum.So far 2 new tires,intake boots, a battery oil filter air filter and a cleanup.i recycle aluminum to pay for my bike habit and all these items were bought that way.So i havent really spent money out of my pocket.just time. I did find in my clymers manual that there are a set of rubber dampers by the springs.Thanks again, youve been most helpful!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X