Backfiring while engine braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfiring while engine braking

Every time I come off the throttle I get a bunch of backfiring through the pipes. It sounds like a skateboard going over the seams in a sidewalk.
    Everything is sealed up nice, engine and carbs are working ok. I'm sure it's the fuel/air balance but I don't know how to adjust that.
    There's some leaks in the exhaust above the baffle but I'm pretty sure that's not it. I'm fixing those soon with the ol soupcan and hoseclamp trick to tide me over till the salt is off the roads.
    Any suggestions?

I bought a 850 in Oct of last year and only rode it for a few weeks before tearing it apart for my winter project. My bike backfired on deceleration too. Upon disassembly I noticed that the intake boots between the carbs and head (#2 & #3) might be the culprit. The rubber which is molded around the aluminum manifold body had separated and air might been sucked throught the gap. I used J B bond and hopefully this solves the backfiring. Ted

Comment

Backfire on decel Leaky exhaust !!!!!!!!!! Leaks at the intake manifold will make it run lean, it may also have a high idle & may detonate (ping)
      like cheap gas

Comment

Originally posted by knotzilla
        I bought a 850 in Oct of last year and only rode it for a few weeks before tearing it apart for my winter project. My bike backfired on deceleration too. Upon disassembly I noticed that the intake boots between the carbs and head (#2 & #3) might be the culprit. The rubber which is molded around the aluminum manifold body had separated and air might been sucked throught the gap. I used J B bond and hopefully this solves the backfiring. Ted
        I just replaced the dried out and cracked gaskets on all 4 intake manifolds last august. It was surprisingly easy - I didn't even have to take the carbs off - just shifted them back a bit after removing the airbox. They crumbled in my hands. Spray test checked out. No bubbling or sucking there.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Backfire on decel Leaky exhaust !!!!!!!!!! Leaks at the intake manifold will make it run lean, it may also have a high idle & may detonate (ping)
          like cheap gas
          Ok I'll sort out the exhaust leaks by the weekend before I investigate any more. However I'd still like to know how to adjust the mixture at the carbs anyhow since I ride all seasons. Winter thickens the air quite a bit and I'd like to keep up with the ambient temperature. Everything I've seen on this bike has been brilliantly engineered. I'm sure it's easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister
            I'd still like to know how to adjust the mixture at the carbs anyhow since I ride all seasons. Winter thickens the air quite a bit and I'd like to keep up with the ambient temperature.
            Less than you'd think. If you have good air/fuel adjustment to begin with, you won't need to adjust the carbs for winter riding.

You may want to adjust the carbs for high-elevation riding if you're going to be over 7,500 feet for a prolonged period of time.

Winter air won't significantly affect your carb adjustment. (And yes, you're right, cold air is more dense than warm air. However, the difference as far as your carburetors go isn't significant and won't make a difference in any noticable road performance.)

Comment

It was an exhaust leak.

Comment

I hope you used the Hot Chili with Beans can rather than a Chicken Noodle Soup can to fix the exhasut. There's a 5 horsepower miidrange boost using the chili can. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                  I hope you used the Hot Chili with Beans can rather than a Chicken Noodle Soup can to fix the exhasut. There's a 5 horsepower miidrange boost using the chili can. :-D
                  Jimcor...with the midrange boost using the bean can, the rider may notice an additional "backfire" or two while seated on the bike. Also, there may be a noticeable "exhaust smell" with that application! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
                    Every time I come off the throttle I get a bunch of backfiring through the pipes. It sounds like a skateboard going over the seams in a sidewalk.
                    Everything is sealed up nice, engine and carbs are working ok. I'm sure it's the fuel/air balance but I don't know how to adjust that.
                    There's some leaks in the exhaust above the baffle but I'm pretty sure that's not it. I'm fixing those soon with the ol soupcan and hoseclamp trick to tide me over till the salt is off the roads.
                    Any suggestions?
                    Either you have leaking exhaust header gaskets, or sometimes a rusted, leaking exhaust header will do it to. If you have a pipe and a jet kit, a slightly lean pilot jet will cause decelleratrion backfiring also.

Comment

Working...
                    X