shaft drive freeplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shaft drive freeplay

are shaft drives suppose to have a little freeplay in them or not.I would think they would have to some anyway.Any knowledge of this would be helpful.First shaft drive ive ever owned.

YES!

It is designed into the output shaft. Improves shifting and softens the shock to the driveline. It duplicates the effect of chain slack. I perfectly tight driveline would make shifting harder. look in the clymers manual under the transmission section and you'll see the mechanism that provides the play.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

next question duaneage,how much is enough and how much is too much?

Comment

I have about an inch or so of travel at the wheel (of course I have not seen my bike in two months since I parked it in the shed out back) and you can feel the spring loaded mechanism when the wheel stops against it.

If you can wait until tommorrow i will check and see.

Comment

it must be cold were your at. im trying to ride everyday here in kc.28 in the morning and 55 by afternoon!Ican wait,no problem.My bike sits in the garage covered up with a bed sheet unless im riding it.(my wife thinks Im crazy)! She just doesnt understand :roll: !

Comment

Don't worry about the freeplay. Suzuki had the best shaft drive in the business. Just keep the fluid levels up and your not going to have any problems.

Comment

i'v always owned suzuki's and that why I have a gs!! they are the best.

Comment

Just a small note to add here, whenever you have the rear wheel off, such as changing a tire, ALWAYS rub a bit of grease on all the splines. The bike will thank you for it by providing many more carefree miles of use.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                X