Question on suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on suspension mods

I have an 83 GS550E and an 85 GS550ES. The rear shock on both are completely shot. No matter what position I put the pre-load dial in I get 4 or 5 inches of sag when i sit on the bike.

I know I can have it rebuilt by a shop but it'll cost a ton...

While looking at it a bit I found I could remove all the "Full Floater" linkage and there is enough room to mount a rear shock off of a GSXR600, which I already have and was purchased for 30$. I could attach it directly to the swingarm and it would go right to the center of the frame a little behind or directly underneath the back gas tank mounts...

Other than measuring for sag with the new shock and making sure it doesn't try to "twist" when I mount it, is there anything else I need to look for? Any suggestions on how to mount a plate or added metal to attach the top of the shock itself?

If you have issues trying to visualize what I'm getting at I'll look at posting photos when I get home...

I typed up this nice reply, but I realized you have a single rear shock just now! I've never pursued what options are available for that...

Call CRC2 and talk to Rob about what you can do with the bike. He's very helpful.

If you had a dual shock setup:

If it's clevis bottom your options for replacement shocks are limited. You can't use the cheaper Progressive Series 14 shock, which worked really well for me on my 550.

CycleRecycle (www.usedmotorcycleparts.com) sells Emgo replacement shocks (clevis or post bottom) for $70 a pair, you honestly can't beat that for OEM replacement stuff that will perform decently. They sell Progressive 12's with springs for $255.

Comment

While your shocks are probably worn out also, the spring you were using was too soft - that's why the sag in the pre-load.

Photos would definetly help, but keep in mind that the shock off the GSXR didn't attach directly to the swingarm either. There is a linkage setup that allows the shock to work correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer
        I have an 83 GS550E and an 85 GS550ES. The rear shock on both are completely shot. No matter what position I put the pre-load dial in I get 4 or 5 inches of sag when i sit on the bike.

I know I can have it rebuilt by a shop but it'll cost a ton...

While looking at it a bit I found I could remove all the "Full Floater" linkage and there is enough room to mount a rear shock off of a GSXR600, which I already have and was purchased for 30$. I could attach it directly to the swingarm and it would go right to the center of the frame a little behind or directly underneath the back gas tank mounts...

Other than measuring for sag with the new shock and making sure it doesn't try to "twist" when I mount it, is there anything else I need to look for? Any suggestions on how to mount a plate or added metal to attach the top of the shock itself?

If you have issues trying to visualize what I'm getting at I'll look at posting photos when I get home...
        Check out RC51 and VTR1000 shocks. The RC shock is 1/4" shorter than yours and the VTR is .63" longer. They have the right mounts for the Full-Floater. Going up would be better than squatting the rear.

Comment

very nice thanks for the tip... but would that be a VTR 1000? or an older VTR250?
          Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2006, 10:03 AM.

Comment

The newer VTR1000 the better. You could probably get a low mileage one cheap off Ebay. The weight between your bike and a new VTR is likely close.

Comment

here's the pics with the GSXR600 shock just sitting there in place...

Yes I know it's not sitting 100% correct it's just laying there basically to show that it will fit in the space... If I mock up mounting brackets what's the percentage that it will work?

Comment

Without a cushion lever it's not going to work well. Both ends of the shock need to be able to pivot and the cushion lever acts like a rocker and changes the ratio of the shock's input on suspension travel

Comment

Working...
                X