Intake O-rings Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake O-rings Help!!!

Okay, so I've got the carbs off right now. I did a rebuild on them using cycleorings' o-rings. Great! Helpful guy. O-rings are perfect. I'm happy. So Robert, the guy who sold me the o-rings, tells me that I need to buy some new intake o-rings from Suzuki. So I do. I take off one of the intake boots, and sure enough, my old o-rings no longer resemble o-rings. Smart fella this Robert.
    Here's my problem. The screws that hold the intake boots on are stuck in a mighty way. I was able to remove all but the two very center screws on the two center boots by using an impact screwdriver. I cannot get enough swing on the driver to do any good on those inboard screws. I removed my battery box. That didn't help any. Does any body have any suggestions for how to remove those two stubborn and inconveniently placed screws? I haven't tried applying heat yet, as I'm afraid of melting the boots. Please don't tell mne that I need to remove the head or the engine. Thanks

Don't worry -- this happens to everyone!

Just drill the heads off the screws. You'll want to replace all those cheesy phillips head screws anyway. I recommend spiffy new stainless steel allen head screws from your friendly local hardware store. (Don't forget to use anti-sieze.)

Go slowly with the drill, and you won't even gouge up the intake boot flange. Once the boots are off, the stub of the screw will probably come out easily. If not, you can grab it with vice-grips.

You've seen this, right?

Maybe I should add a section covering stuck bolts...

Check the intake boots carefully and make sure they're still at least a little flexible and not cracked.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Right. Just use a drill bit just bigger than the threaded part of the screw. Go easy and when you've gone far enough, the head of the screw will come right off on to the drill bit. Just go easy.

Comment

I had the same problem on my 550, only I couldn't get the impact hammer on any of them except the outside two!

Anyway I went to Sears and bought some 3/8 inch drive hardened (the ones that are colored black) Phillips head drivers. They are the ones you use with a 3/8 inch rachet. I got about 7 different sizes, not cheap but worth it!

One of them went into the screws like it was made for it! I mean you almost had to pry the screw off of it. It grabbed the screws so well that they just came out with a little pressure on the rachet.

I also picked up a couple of "easy-outs" for buggered Phillips head screws that Sears carries. They are made for a drill but would probably work best while turning with vice-grips and tapping on the end with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie
          Smart fella this Robert.

... my sentiments exactly.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I was able to get a small pair of vise gribs on the screw heads and crack mine loose.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by wolfie
              Smart fella this Robert.

Originally posted by robertbarr
              ... my sentiments exactly.

Comment

Working...
              X