Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of adding a separate oil pressure gauge for my 750L?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question of adding a separate oil pressure gauge for my 750L?????

Can anybody help me with an answer to my wanting a separate oil gauge that would fit-who knows where? I have been used to having a real oil pressure gauge all my life, on my cars! One that isn't just an idiot light! I would always put one in. Does anybody know if the sending unit on the bike for the oil pressure gauge would work with an after market electric oil gauge? Would it be enough to work for an electric gauge? Or would I have to drill & tap another location for another sending unit too? If so, where & if you would know where & how to mount it on the bike, maybe the handle bars?

If you have a two valve motor their is only 5-10 lbs oil pressure
    4 valve motor would have the normal 20-75 lbs oil pressure
    best bet would be a liquid filled mech gauge

Comment

Originally posted by 5RON5
      Can anybody help me with an answer to my wanting a separate oil gauge that would fit-who knows where? I have been used to having a real oil pressure gauge all my life, on my cars! One that isn't just an idiot light! I would always put one in. Does anybody know if the sending unit on the bike for the oil pressure gauge would work with an after market electric oil gauge? Would it be enough to work for an electric gauge? Or would I have to drill & tap another location for another sending unit too? If so, where & if you would know where & how to mount it on the bike, maybe the handle bars?
      On the right side of the motor, above and between the clutch cover and ignition cover, there is a bolt you can remove and install an oil guage. I've seen them available on e-bay from a seller in Germany. I looked tonight, but didn't see any listed. It is a small round guage that screws into where that bolt goes.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Regarding the separate oil gauge;

Do you mean that big headed chrome bolt between the covers? Looking to be about a 17mm or 19mm bolt? It sets just on the left of the ign cover directly under & on the bottom of the cylinder itself? Between the two covers? If that is where your talking about, if I unscrewed it, it wouldn't shoot out oil, would it? I mean not running! But cold? Would I, in fact, need to run one of those liquid kind of gauges fro it, as one member advised? Any help would be greatly appreciated & thanks for your help! Ron..

Comment

Originally posted by 5RON5
          Do you mean that big headed chrome bolt between the covers? Looking to be about a 17mm or 19mm bolt? It sets just on the left of the ign cover directly under & on the bottom of the cylinder itself? Between the two covers? If that is where your talking about, if I unscrewed it, it wouldn't shoot out oil, would it? I mean not running! But cold? Would I, in fact, need to run one of those liquid kind of gauges fro it, as one member advised? Any help would be greatly appreciated & thanks for your help! Ron..
          Yep, that's the bolt. I found the guage I was talking about. I'm going to get one of these soon. Looks pretty cool! Heres the link:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-P...08580822QQrdZ1
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

The engine vibration will kill a reg gauge in no time. Check with places like Summit Racing for liquid filled 0-15 lb gauge (fuel pressure) Drill & tap the
            bolt from the oil galley for a 1/4' pipe thread

Comment

I bought a fuel pressure gauge from Summit with a brushed aluminum face. Looks nice. I tried to find some adapters to make it work. The oil galley plug appears to be 12MM x 1.25 (fine thread). Can't find anything.

Instead of drilling and tapping, I sure would like to get an adapter similar to this one on e-bay. Anyone seen anything like this? What's it called? I did searches for fittings, but no luck.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
              X