No announcement yet.

GS1000G Fuse locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many fuses are in in the fuse box? Does it have a cover with the fuse functions marked?

I don't understand when you say that you are getting full voltage out from 3 fuses. The only fuse that should be "hot" when the key is off is the Main fuse (and Accessory fuse if fitted). The lights, ignition, etc. should be activated by the key turning in the ignition switch. These fuses should have no voltage with the key off. Are they "hot" then?

If you get full voltage with the key on, then the lights, signals, horn, etc. should work. Unless you have a malfunctioning kill switch or it is turned off, you should get voltage to the activation coil of the starter solenoid when the starter button is pressed. If you are getting voltage to activate the starter solenoid with no "click" response, the solenoid is bad.

When you say that "nothing changes" when you turn the key, it seems that nothing at all is working, as if you had no battery in the bike. If you have 3 hot fuses, have you traced the wires to see why "nothing is changing"?

You should get a workshop manual and a wiring diagram for your bike.

Comment

Solved!

For those of you that have been helping me, thanks a ton. I figured it out, and I guess I don't feel that bad about it:

It was a bad +battery cable that broke internally when I jumped the solenoid, then there was a bad connection in one of the start button connectors combined with a bit o' tarnish on the starter button itself.

I found the cable by checking the routing- it felt a bit too flexible at one point where it makes a bend to go to the solenoid. Somehow it wore from the back where I couldn't see it and the remaining starnds popped when I hit the starter. Replaced it.

Next I started tracing wiring from the starter switch back until I found the bad connection (power on one side, none on the other), then I traced it up until I found that the starter button itself had a bit of tarnish on the contacts. Once I fixed the weak connection and filed the starter button contacts shiny, she worked just fine.

It was a pretty exciting night. She started firing roughly right away, then after a minute or two she cleaned right up (maybe due to the Sea Foam mixed with gas that was running in) and runs very well. I freed up the stuff rear brake caliper, so that is good to go. Time to work on the cosmetic issues and find a front master cylinder and brake...

Once again, thanks for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by CLAY
        For those of you that have been helping me, thanks a ton. I figured it out, and I guess I don't feel that bad about it...
        You're welcome, and good for you for sticking with it and successfully troubleshooting it.:-D Thanks for the feedback.

There's nothing to feel bad about, electrical problems can be a bitch. If I had figured out the problem as you did, I would be happy, happy, happy.:-D :-D :-D

Comment

Oh, I am! That's the problem with these barn babies- generally no major problems, but small things that can be a dog to solve. When it fired up and it finally broke into a nice idle, I was stoked! Now it's a few brake issues and cosmetics, then she'll be on the road!

Comment

Working...
          X