gs1000 brake improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 brake improvement

are there any later calipers that will bolt on for improved braking?

Originally posted by roadron
    are there any later calipers that will bolt on for improved braking?

how old is your brake lines. if thay are real old, take them to a hydrolic shop and have them rebuild them. then clean out the calipers the road dust and brake dust builds up and you got to press harder to stop.

Comment

The easiest way to improve brake performance is to install braided stainless steel brake lines. Of course you should also make sure your calipers & master cylinders are working properly. I've done this to my 1000 & it's made quite a difference.

Terry

Comment

Hi

I belive an upgrade of the front brake
        also include to use sinter metal pads ..

On my GS1000GLX I have braided stainless steel brake lines and
        sinter metal pads.No problem to lock the wheel at any speed if I want to.
        Also work xlnt in the rain..

Waiting for spring and the dyno test...

Comment

Originally posted by humhead
          The easiest way to improve brake performance is to install braided stainless steel brake lines. Of course you should also make sure your calipers & master cylinders are working properly. I've done this to my 1000 & it's made quite a difference.
          Terry
          I can vouche for this.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT
            I can vouche for this.
            Agreed. Cheapest fix and best fix before spending $$$

Stainless lines, even if you change the calipers are agood investment.
            Try some different pads, most are around $20-$30 USD.

If the front end dives during braking, maybe the fork springs or oil are shot.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

If you have a pre-'80 bike with solid rotors you could also put vented ones on from a later bike, I think they bolt on. From what I gather though the lines are a good first step, as you you get better performance and feel as well as increased safety margin. I think the vented rotors do better in the rain.

Running completely stock brakes on my bikes I can say that they have no problem stopping from highway speeds in the dry, but wet rotors require a GI Joe Kung Fu Grip, as does anything around 100 mph or more. Good thing I don't do either of those very often.

Comment

Working...
              X