Chain installation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain installation question

Is it possible to peen a rivet style masterlink with the chain on the bike, or do I need to put the chain together on bench then install??

I only ask because I would rather not have to drop the swingarm.

Thanks

I'm sure if you got a solid piece of steel behind the link to buck it, it could be done, but why don't you just replace it with a regular master link, they can be safety wired instead of clipped on

Comment

Re: Chain installation question

Originally posted by dallyspot
      Is it possible to peen a rivet style masterlink with the chain on the bike, or do I need to put the chain together on bench then install??

I only ask because I would rather not have to drop the swingarm.

Thanks
      Short answer...Yes you can do it on the bike. When I replaced my chain I temporarily installed a regular master link, then took it to a local shop where I purchased the chain/sprockets and they riveted it free of charge while the chain was on the bike.

Comment

Until I bought my GS, every bike I had ever owned (more than a dozen) had a masterlink in the chain. I've always found it convenient to take the chain off to clean it occasionally, especially on my gritty dual purpose bikes. It makes it easy to clean up the sprockets, too. I replace the masterlink every second time I have the chain off. Am I taking my life in my hands if I replace my endless chain with a masterlinked version and remove/replace it yearly?

Comment

Al,
          I don't think there is any problem re-using your master link if you are careful not to bend the locking tab. I would however replace it yearly (It's only a few dollars) I drag race a gs1000 and all my friends and I have our chains off frequently. A racers trick is to dab silicone on a clean dry master link. Once it hardens I've never seen one come off.

Paul

Comment

Re: Chain installation question

[quote="dallyspot"]Is it possible to peen a rivet style masterlink with the chain on the bike, or do I need to put the chain together on bench then install??

Yes, but instead of "peening" the rivets it's safer and more exact using a rivet press. You can get one through just about any catalogue that sells chains, however if you are only using for yourself I'd recommend the least expensive J.C. Whitney version. Which should last for at least a dozen installations before the tip wears out.

Comment

Working...
            X