hi from newbie/float height question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi from newbie/float height question

hey there folks, just got my hands on a 1980 GS750E with 5000k on the odometer. it hasn't run since 1991 when it was apparently just turned off and put into storage. so naturally i've removed and dismantled the carbs, soaked them and blown out all the jets and replaced the o-rings. but so far no luck in finding a manual for this model( 16 valve, tscc engine) i don't know what the float height should be with the carb bodies upside down,bottom of float to base of carb body. can anybody help me with that info? also something strange about the float assemblies in that there is a little loop of wire holding the fuel inlet needle valve to the fuel inlet jet base. is this needed? i don't see it included in the carb rebuild teardown so beautifully described on this website. any answers would be appreciated. T.D. from Vancouver, Canada

The float level for that model is 21.4mm to 23.4mm. I dont remember mine having the springy clips you asked about. LOL

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

float height

hey thanks for that info. those little wire clips on the fuel needle valve are a mystery to me too. i didn't see those on my old kawi 650's or 1000's and i think i'll just remove them and set the floats without them. i really don't see their purpose, but without a shop manual for this model, i didn't know. now all i need is a battery and i'll see if she fires. cheers!

Comment

Funny...mine have the little springy thingy also, on all four carbs.... same bike. I put quite a bit of thought into this fact also and have not been able to come up with a viable solution as of yet. Perhaps, I thought, it had something to do with retaining the needle valve upon dis-assembly of the carbs but thought that to be to logical. Soooo, then I thought perhaps it acted as some sort of 'governor' restricting the distance the needle could travel....another stab. Eventually I quit thinking about it, and since I do not speak japanese I left them in, and she works like a charm.

I have seen carbs for this bike with little screens over the needle valve, they were covered in rust and when removed help considerabely with performance. An inline filter was placed between the petcock and the number two carb intake WITHOUT any problems as a few members have experienced with such a mod.

Scud

Comment

Working...
        X