Motorcycle stands - how to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle stands - how to use?

Guys, I've got a new Lockhart-Phillips Easystor Ready Race stand to lift my back wheel off the ground on my ZRX (I miss the GS centerstand!) and I'm having trouble using it. It looks simple but I almost knocked the bike over getting it up by myself and had to get a couple of people to help me get it off the stand (because I was afraid I might knock it over).

It's got to be easier than what I'm doing...any ideas? It is new but no instructions were in the box for the stand. Also, do I need to get a different stand for the front?

Hap

Are you using swingarm spools? I do not know if the ZRX has the threaded adapters on the swingarm for them, if it does, they make the rear stand very easy to install.

I have Pit Bull front and rear stands from the TL1000 days, Your rear stand should be able to convert from spools to a standard swingarm by flipping the stand brackets over.

Pit Bull makes a two piece front end converter stand that I highly recommend. You can raise the front by either the fork tubes or by lifting under the steering head. Below is the one piece front, the converter attaches to this piece and allows you to lift the entire front end.

BTW, why didn't a GS guy like you buy a Bandit 1200? It has a centerstand.

Ride On, Ed.
    1983 GS750ED
    2005 GSF1200SZ
    Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2006, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
      Are you using swingarm spools? I do not know if the ZRX has the threaded adapters on the swingarm for them, if it does, they make the rear stand very easy to install.

I have Pit Bull front and rear stands from the TL1000 days, Your rear stand should be able to convert from spools to a standard swingarm by flipping the stand brackets over.

Pit Bull makes a two piece front end converter stand that I highly recommend. You can raise the front by either the fork tubes or by lifting under the steering head. Below is the one piece front, the converter attaches to this piece and allows you to lift the entire front end.

BTW, why didn't a GS guy like you buy a Bandit 1200? It has a centerstand.

Ride On, Ed.
      1983 GS750ED
      2005 GSF1200SZ

It has the threaded adapters but, being in a hurry, I used a metric bolt that extended out enough to get the "V" of the stand on to them.

I will have to find the front wheel adaptors for the Lockhart or else buy a separate stand.

I bought the ZRX because it was too good of a deal to pass up. Also, I like the style of the ZRX over the Bandit. Both engines have excellent track records but the water cooling on the Kawasaki was a big plus for me. I still have the GS bikes but they are going to be regulated to special project status.

Hap

Comment

I see, the spools will keep the stand from moving, it does take practice though. After a few times with my son holding the bike, I felt comfortable putting the TL on the rear stand by myself.

Once the rear is set, the front is easy as the bike is stable.

I looked at the ZRX myself, but coming off the TL, I wanted to get away from liquid cooling for easy maintence. The Bandit is lacking in personality, but I got my 2005 $1000 below sticker by a dealer that wanted it out of his showroom. Also, really liked the blue/white 2005 combo. It is coming along in the personality dept. with clip-ons and other mods, but has put my '83 GS750 rebuild on hold.

RS36 flatslides and GSXR 750 cams are purchased and set up for spring install, then I will get back to the '83.

Good Luck, Ed.
        1983 GS750ED
        2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

Working...
        X