Self cancelling turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpep
    Our Honda Nighthawk has the push-to-cancel turn signal switch. That bike was manufactured for over ten years starting in the early 90's. You should be able to find one in a salvage yard somewhere if you don't want to buy new.
    But I don't think the honda has a choke lever like the kaw does.

Comment

Well, honestly, I've got several weird issues on mine that I'm working through, so I'm not ready to give up on the self cancelling unit yet. The PO obviously was wiring challenged. I worked on it yesterday and got some issues resolved. I put an R/R back on it and the system appears to be charging properly now. I got the front brake light switch working and determined the rear one is not working (power in, no power out when engaged).

There is an aftermarket ignition switch on the bike, and I'm not sure if he did some disconnecting when he installed it. I've found several wires in the main loom going to the front of the bike that appear to have come out of a factory connector. I can find the same wires on the wiring diagram that look like they go to a switch of some sort. Unfortunately, the switch is not named on the factory wiring diagram. All the switches I'm aware of on the bike appear to be named. This one is just to the left of the coils on the diagram and contains 6 wires. If I remember right, there is WR, WG, Gr, RO, YW and OG wires. The YW is not one of the ones that is hanging out of the loom but is involved with the headlight. The Gr and OG are hooked together and the rest are basically not hooked to anything. The headlight does not work on low beam, but I've really not worked on diagnosing that just yet. Also, the front turn signal lights come on and stay on when the ignition key is switched on. I don't believe they should be, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. The back ones don't come on.

The turn signals are not working at all. I was in the process of trying to figure out exactly where the power to the switch comes from last night when I decided to quit. There is a LBl wire that goes to the switch and then a B and a LGr wire that come off it depending upon which side is turned on. The LBl wire comes off the turn signal relay but currently does not carry any voltage, so the switch isn't getting any voltage to pass to the back. This is with the turn signal unit still plugged in, key on and bike not running. Anyway, I'll plug away some more this afternoon and over the weekend and hopefully come up with something, but any advice is certainly much appreciated.

Comment

Oh, and Boondocks, thanks for the detailed explanation of the system. That's very helpful!

Comment

Working...
        X