Q about swapping parts beteen GS models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q about swapping parts beteen GS models

sorry I had this posted in tips and tricks by mistake but Thats what Im asking here .what parts from later models ,say up till 82 including 550, 850, 1100 , or even Gt models will I be able to use on my basket project 76 GS750 E (Canadian model) for instance forks and tripple trees exaust systems ,guages ignition parts say to convert to pointless (CDI) ..what do I need to find.. I intend to keep track of all findings as the project progresses and post the info to help the next poor basket weaver ...I know you can cross the numbers on a suzuki site and get some info but someone that replys with practical info would really be appriciated here after all thats one reason lots of bikes are parked and later sold for parts ..because of tweaked fork tubes..
    thanks in advance for any advice ! at this time I have gone ahead and bought a set of forks from an 850 that look the same oh well if they dont fit the price was right ..

well the gs's changed in 1980 to the four valve motors and most of the body styling changed. you have a 76 gs750, so from 76-79 all gs750 basically have the same parts except for the 79 gs750l model. but 1980 tanks, sidecovers, motor, etc. changed. maybe some parts from the 70''s gs550 will fit. the 1000 and 850 are different. go look in the gallery and you can see through the years the parts changed.

Comment

I'm pretty sure forks are interchangeable across the line, except I'm not sure about mixing air forks with non air fork bikes, and vicey versey. Some are leading axle, and a little longer, (L models) but you can still use them. Different size bikes will have different spring rates and you can use different weight oil in them. Wheels and brakes are mostly interchangeable across the line, but you should stay single rotor-single rotor and dual rotor-dual rotor, unless you want to convert from one to the other. Some L models had phatter rear tires, beware. Beyond that I think almost nothing will change from 550/650 to 750 and up. Well, mirrors, turn signals, grips and things, but not much. It's a little better with 750 and up bikes, you can use 850 headlights, maybe some guages with fudging, many engine parts, especially cases, but I think you're out of luck with seats and tanks. they seem to be very model specific. Staying with pre -80 bikes is safest for most things too. If you find parts and you want to make sure before you bid on them or buy them, try seeing if the part numbers match between models, bikebandit.com has most parts fiches for that. Parts interchange for these sounds like a matter of experimentation for most people, so good luck. I wonder if there's a way to crunch parts numbers and come up with some kind of general list? Sounds like a LOT of work.

Comment

RR and Stators blend between some models. Calipers and rotors are very interchangeable from 1981 to at least 1984. Turn signals are interchangeable. Speedos can be swapped since they all used the same speedo drive on the axle (you could replace a 85 clock with a 140) and Wheels have been moved aroundquite a bit on this site

here is a good site for online parts info

www.suzuki-bike-parts.com
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X