Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Can I put a Vetter Windjammer on 1980 GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Can I put a Vetter Windjammer on 1980 GS1100E?

Do any of you know if an old Vetter Windjammer would fit on my 1980 GS1100E? I know some of you GS purists are throwing up at the thought...but I want to go long distances and having one would help.

If a Vetter Windjammer would fit...anyone know which model was made to fit the 1980-82 GS1100E?

Thanks guys!

Rudi

Throwing up! Never... it's an individual thing. Do what you like... But yes, the Vetter fairing will fit an E model, only thing you'll need to do is get the correct mounting bracket that bolts to the frames up tubes. Finding those might be a problem. But having all the parts, your vetter will fit.
    GY

Comment

Don't ever apologize for preferring a GS with a full fairing. Who cares what the "GS purists" say?

As Gerry Y. says, get yourself the mounting hardware, and install the Jammer on your GS. I have one on my hybrid GS1100GK, in the gallery. Click on http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip....php?RegID=182 .

The Windjammer will make riding your GS for long distances much more enjoyable. Because of that, you'll ride it more often, for longer distances. That's what it's all about.

Nick

Comment

I have to agree with Gerry and Nick totally and I have had the experince to prove it. I think all the bikes frames, 850, 1000's, and 1100G's were all the same until 82 whan they changed some what. I bought a 82 1100E new with a Winjamer faring on it and it was the pits. The faring was so far from the seating position that it was useless and I took it off imeadiatly and put on a bar faring that worked fine, although the bracket from that 82 1100 bike worked fine in later years for my 82 850 G and the same wind jamer faring, so there you go. If you need a bracket, I know where there is one in a bone yard on an old wrecked 850 in Birmingham if it is'nt gone

Comment

Thanks!!!

I see! Very encouraging to find out the Windjammer will fit my bike.

Then again...WHICH windjammer will fit? I have noticed many different Windjammer models (i.e. Windjammer III, etc). Will any of them fit my 1980 GS1100E? Or is there a particular model better suited for my bike?

P.S. I found a motorcycle salvage nearby that has TONS of nice vetter fairings. Will go out and buy one as soon as I know which is best.

Thanks Guys!

Rudi

Comment

Check on the web http://www.craigvetter.com for info. I think aftermarket Vetter farings were basicly all the same as far as sizes with a few exceptions, and a few cosmetic changes over the years Vetter III IV V

Comment

The Windjammers were generic, one size fits all, and the bases should all mount up the same. The mounting brackets are different for each bike, but most of the GSs are very similar. I have seen several that have been adapted and/or strengthened with a quick welding job. Make sure there is some shock absorbing material between the mount and the fairing. The nicest Windjammer is the one with the integrated running lights and turn signals. Check the base for cracks and get the best windshield you can. A scratchy or foggy windshield can be very dangerous, especially at night. Many aftermarket motorcycle suppliers (PartsUnlimited, Nichols...)still carry the Windjammer windshields.

Comment

If you want a fairing check this out, http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/suzuz/gs1150.html, or this, http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/suzuz/gs1000s.htm. They will look much better and with work can be made to fit. You would have to find the mount and headlight, but they do come up on ebay. Zero Gravity still makes windscreens for that fairing, http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sp...ptbks/168.htm#. Here is the windscreen for the 1000 fairing, http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sp...sptbks/165.htm.

Comment

emailed Craig Vetter himself..

Hey guys...I just emailed Mr. Craig Vetter himself...and got a response back on this issue!!!

He said that the Windjammer 4 (or otherwise known as the "SS") was the best looking model AND it is the right one for my 1980 GS1100E.

Rudi
                  San Antonio, TX

Comment

Well there ya go! If Craig says it will fit! That's it! Have fun and make sure to check eBay, I got all my vetter stuff from there at really good prices!
                    GY

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, (I had a Windjammer II on a '72 Honda CB500, and now have an SS I intend to mount on my '78 GS750E) all or nearly all Windjammer models have the same "footprint." Thus any Windjammer can be mounted on the mounting bracket that fits your bike. Differences between the Windjammer, II, III, IV, V, and SS are primarily in relatively minor style and accessorization items. Earlier models ( at least the II) required installing the bike's turn signals into mounting holes in the side of the fairing; later models have integrated turn signals. Earlier models had soft covers for each storage compartment; later models have a locking hard cover for the right side storage compartment. Cycle sound, cigarette lighter, horns, lowers,and other options appeared at various times along the way.

I vaguely recall the original Windjammer, or at least another model, was a full fairing assembly, wrapping under the engine, like many sport bike fairings today, but the upper portion was the same as, or very similar to the other Windjammer models.

Comment

Working...
                      X