82 GS1100 Crank Bearings source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100 Crank Bearings source

My 82 GS1100 EZ had an intermittent whirring grinding noise that then became constant.

Isolated and clutch and tranny out of equation. I'm 99% sure it is a crank bearing.

The crank bearings are expensive at places like Bike Bandit. Maybe I'm to cheap but I'm not sure if its worth doing if I have to spend hundreds of dollars just for the bearing replacements.

I have a factory manual that gives the dimensions of the bearings on the crank.

Is it possible to purchase units that meet those dimensions from a bearing shop?

Or, does anyone have a source to get these at reasonable cost?

Originally posted by staschman
    My 82 GS1100 EZ had an intermittent whirring grinding noise that then became constant.

Isolated and clutch and tranny out of equation. I'm 99% sure it is a crank bearing.

The crank bearings are expensive at places like Bike Bandit. Maybe I'm to cheap but I'm not sure if its worth doing if I have to spend hundreds of dollars just for the bearing replacements.

I have a factory manual that gives the dimensions of the bearings on the crank.

Is it possible to purchase units that meet those dimensions from a bearing shop?

Or, does anyone have a source to get these at reasonable cost?
    Its not going to be cheap to replace the bearings. I use Falicon....

Description Part # US $
    INSPECTION TEARDOWN w/o REASSEMBLY 400-000 119.00
    INSTALL THRUST ASSEMBLY, TRUE / WELD 400-100 409.00
    DYNAMIC BALANCE 400-300 169.00
    STANDARD SUPERCRANK 400-500 735.00
    ULTRA-LITE SUPERCRANK 400-520 839.00
    HEAVY SUPERCRANK 400-570 689.00
    MAGNAFLUX INSPECTION 400-600 95.00
    LIGHTEN / WELD / BALANCE 400-650 683.00
    BLUEPRINT & DYNAMIC BALANCE (KAW) 400-700 440.00
    BLUEPRINT & DYNAMIC BALANCE (SUZ)(Weld gear included) 400-750 529.00
    TRUE/WELD 400-800 241.00

Comment

Looks like Falicon is a hi-per aftermarket provider?

I'm hoping I can look to a bearing sales source, that isn't specializing in motorcycles (and hopefully not at as high a cost) but that can match the dimensions needed.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Comment

The crank has to be pressed apart to change the bearings, Unless you have the equipment ??? let an expert do the job

Comment

Like He said' let the xperts do it. If it's a late "82" model, all the journals, except one, are welded & will need to be ground before pressing apart. It must be pressed back together, aligned exactly perfect & rewelded. Early "82"'s aren't welded, but should be welded after it's been apart. The xperts have "Been there Done that"
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Since no one else asked starter clutch maybe?

Comment

I have never seen the noise you describe associated with a roller bearing failure. Usually it's knocking (rod bearing) or rumbling (crank bearing). It don't see how worn rollers are going to create a grinding noise - unless you have no oil in the bike.

Rod bearings can be checked for play via the plug hole using a wooden dowel. If they can be pushed down at all after TDC, they are probably worn. You can check the condition of all crank bearings by removing the oil pan and checking for play.

I think something else is worn out.

Comment

You need a press and indexing fixtures to rebuild one of these cranks. If you really need to have that done, you should send your crank to Gardner Racing.

Jay
                Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay
                  You need a press and indexing fixtures to rebuild one of these cranks. If you really need to have that done, you should send your crank to Gardner Racing.

Jay
                  How does Gardner Racing compare to Falicon? Are they less expensive, better, quicker or why do you recommend them over Falicon?

I buy your products as well so I'm just curious.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2006, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X