Replacement Brake Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Brake Lines

I am replacing the brake lines on my 82 GS850GLZ and wanted some different opinions from those who have installed Stainless hoses. The 850 has a 3 line system up front, 1 supply line coming from the front master cylinder, that connects to a brake hose joint that divides the fluid into 2 lines, one for the left and one for the right caliper like an upside down Y. I want to eliminate te 3 line system and go with 2, the obvious choice is using a dual banjo bolt and run 2 lines from the master cylinder to each caliper, however I noticed on the new Suzuki Boulevard has one line from the master cylinder to the right caliper and in the right caliper is the dual banjo bolt with a shorter line coupled from the right caliper running to the left caliper across the back of the front fender. I guess this reduces the cost of a much longer second line since cost usually inreases as length increases in brake lines.I know pricing 2 lines is cheaper then 3, however has anyone tried this configuration?
    Also has anyone installed brake lines with AN-3 fittings on the end rather then the typical banjo fitting. I can see the benefit of this type of system over the banjo, less chance for leaks for one but am not sure if that is the way to go.
    I can't see how technically it could make any difference since the princpal of hydraulics can't compress on itself and if the lines are void of air they should respond no different then a 3 line system when pressure is applied. My concern is with the shorter line the release of fluid back to the master cylinder would be slower then 2 full length lines thus causing a slight drag in the calipers maybe more so the left then the right, any thoughts on that?
    Also does anyone recommend anywhere particular to purchase brake lines?
    I am not looking cheap but quality.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Bill

I'm not going to get into the physics of your question, but www.paragonperformance sells great SS brake kits. If they don't have your bike, you get 50% off if you send in your lines.

~Adam

Comment

Go to H.E.L. www.helpreformance.com great lines Got mine in less than a week from the UK

Comment

I agree with Squaredancer, H.E.L. makes nice brake lines. As for configuration changes, I doubt any noticable changes would be noticable in the real world. I've had folks tell me that going to 2 lines from the master cylinder will improve braking. I don't know if it would be noticable. Master cylinder upgrade to a later model probably would help, but with the SS lines my braking was much better than before. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

These guys made me a line for my 750T and it came exactly as I ordered it and was about $47 .

Originally posted by AOD
          I'm not going to get into the physics of your question, but www.paragonperformance sells great SS brake kits. If they don't have your bike, you get 50% off if you send in your lines.

~Adam

Comment

I've heard great things about Paragon performance.

However, if time and money is an issue - I went to a local Hydraulic Hose place, one that makes hoses, and they made me 2 stainless braided oil lines for $40. Just FYI.

Comment

I too am thinking of changing my lines. Gonna probably go to earls, or aeroquip, and make my own. As far as the configuration, I would stick with the inverted y or two discrete lines. Something just doesn't seem right about running brake line in series (line to one caliper, daisychained to the other). Seems like you may build pressure in the first, before it transfers. This is purely empirical tho...I have no proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                I too am thinking of changing my lines. Gonna probably go to earls, or aeroquip, and make my own. As far as the configuration, I would stick with the inverted y or two discrete lines. Something just doesn't seem right about running brake line in series (line to one caliper, daisychained to the other). Seems like you may build pressure in the first, before it transfers. This is purely empirical tho...I have no proof.
                Well, I've read that too. However, I can't recall where and don't have the time to look it up.

Advice I'd read or been told is: 1. Get rid of the Anti Dive (lots of opines on this - I've left mine alone with out issue).
                2. Drop the Piggy back and run 2 seperate lines.

It's in here somewhere (if it transferred over to the new Forum Format).

Comment

I will be going with the 2 line system (not the circuit).

It is cheaper, and simpler than the stock 3 line system.

I will be ordering them from H.E.L. and they are going to be fabricating them for my 850. You also get the bonus of getting different coloured fittings and hose covers. The price is about $100 american.

Poot

Comment

Working...
                  X