Fork oil- 82 GS1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil- 82 GS1100EZ

Hi, I replaced my fork springs recently with the recomended progressive suspension units however still found the ride 'bouncy' on the handlebars.
    My current settings are 10 grade fork oil,no air pressure and first level of preload. BTW I've done away with the antidive.
    Can the springs be too stiff as I weigh 190 lbs and ride solo.
    Does anyone know how much ( c.c. ) of fork oil to use?

What size spacers did you use ????

Comment

10 qweight is a little on the low end.
      Personally, in my 82 GS1100E with Progressive springs, I run 20 weight oil
      and no air in the forks.
      No added spacers in mine. The ride is "firm", but still comfortable.

What condition are the rear shocks?
      If the rears are shot, it can cause the pogo effect
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by wan3417
        Hi, I replaced my fork springs recently with the recomended progressive suspension units however still found the ride 'bouncy' on the handlebars.
        My current settings are 10 grade fork oil,no air pressure and first level of preload. BTW I've done away with the antidive.
        10W fork oil is too thin for your weight IMO. I weigh 160 lb, and I used 15W, and my forks still seem to have too much rebound. I need to drive my bike first before I make the final call, though. Remember too you also have rebound clickers at the bottom of the fork tubes to adjust rebound dampening.

Comment

Originally posted by wan3417
          246 ml of 15w fork oil
          7 psi

Not too sure what you mean by bouncy? Are the forks compressing to the point where they hit the stops (bottoming out) or are you getting a pogoing effect where the forks are bouncing up/down a couple of times before they stablize?

Be sure to include what the forks were like BEFORE making the change? How much oil was in the forks before you changed the fork springs?

Comment

Working...
          X