Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to order bearings form a bearing house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to order bearings form a bearing house?

hey guys, i know some of you have just went to a bearing house to get new wheel bearings, swing arm bearings and steering stem bearings.

what do you need to tell the guy so he can find what you need. i found this info from parts fish for the steering stem for example, rt 30x55x17, when i told the guy the number nothing came up. so i then told him those numbers are measurements and he still couldn't find a exact match.

what have you guys done in the past, especally since i don't really want to pull my greasy stuff off to bring it to him.

-Ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Originally posted by first timer
    hey guys, i know some of you have just went to a bearing house to get new wheel bearings, swing arm bearings and steering stem bearings.

what do you need to tell the guy so he can find what you need. i found this info from parts fish for the steering stem for example, rt 30x55x17, when i told the guy the number nothing came up. so i then told him those numbers are measurements and he still couldn't find a exact match.

what have you guys done in the past, especally since i don't really want to pull my greasy stuff off to bring it to him.

-Ryan
    The counter guy is just lazy.
    I worked in parts for 9 years and I know for a fact you can look them up by dimentions.
    He should have a catalog (like say, BCA bearings) that lists the part# by dimentions.
    Should be like a 32006X or a 32006 in National bearings. (Federal Mogul, Bca whatever)
    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2006, 06:41 PM.

Comment

hey guys I found this website that has been a big help, (http://www.consbrgs.com/cbc_search.taf) I was able to get some numbers for my wheel bearings ( rear wheel is 6204-2RS) (front wheel 6302-2RS ) (steering stem 32006X) the only one I am un-sure of is the swing arm bearings, the only thing I found was HK-2530-2RS but it is 1mm smaller then stated on the micro fiche (25x33x30) as well as I am unsure if this is the right bearing I need, I know there is a inner sleeve needed. Anyone have any suggestions or find a number I can use. I did a search on the gsr and came back with this number iko TA2530Z. But doing a search on the bearing site only gives me what I posted above, if I enter in 2530 as a part number.

One more thing to, if I am going about and ordering all these bearings especially the wheel bearings. If I get them 2 seals and stainless steel. The bearing site I found has a number for stainless steel bearing equivalent to the normal ones. Any opinions?

Thanks for all the help,
      -Ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

I've got some bearing info. available on my website; go to
        http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/f...k/bearings.htm
        and you will find the relevant bearing info. for GS(X)1100s -- certainly for the old Katanas and almost as certainly for all other GS(X)1100s.

I have used standard bearing size designations. If you ask (as you did) for a standard bearing size such as 30x55x17, and the bloke behind the counter doesn't know what you're talking about, get out of there! They are, to put it politely, ignoramuses. Get to a shop where they know what they're talking about.

Mike.

Comment

so i guess all the stuff listed is right then cool now i now what to say to these folks and i will avoid that one place.

so is it a good idea to order the stainless steel double sealed bearings for the wheels SS6305-2RS (link)

thanks for all the great info,

-ryan
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x

Comment

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Search for "bearings". Enjoy.

I love McMaster-Carr. Reasonable prices, fast cheap shipping, no minimum order, plenty of info on the web site (including technical drawings for lots of stuff), and easy online ordering.

Don't forget to order up a supply of stainless steel socket head (allen head) screws while you're there.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i just take the bearings down to the local napa store. napa is a autoparts dealer in the states. thay cross reffrnce them. all thay needed to know is its for a motorcycle and the number on the bearing.

Comment

-Ryan
                Your parts guy can't read. All motorcycle bearings use a std. know 4-7 digit numbering system. It's very easy to understand once you know the language. Ex.: a 6205-2RS (probably the most commom powersports bearing) means a 6205 series bearing with two rubber seals. A 6205-RS would be a single rubber seal, and a 6205 has no seals. There is also a letter designation for a metal shield type seal, but I can't recall what that letter is. Kawaskaki incorporates the std. bearing code into their part numbers so you can generally find any bearing from Kawasaki. It will read 11055-6205 meaning it's a 6205 Kawasaki bearing.

Comment

One thing is very helpfull in ordering replacement bearings and that is the industry standard bearing manual. This is a very large set of books which contain just about every bearing ever made. Manufacturers use and have used widely differing standard numbers for the same size and type of bearing. Having a size alone won't necessarily get you to the right bearing. I've seen a lot of bearings that didn't work out even thought the size was the same and the bearing style appeared to be the same. Things like contact angle, different seal or shield styles and veriations in internal clearances can make a big diffference. Generally, the longer the designation stamped on the race means there can be more to it than meets the eye. Knowing the manufacturer and his part number is the key to cross referencing a bearing correctly. Ray
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

As mentioned, bad bearing house there.

My local bearing place - all I have to do is thell them what it's for and the guy practically knows already. If not - he looks it up in about a minute. If he can't find it - then he says to bring it in and he'll find it. Very helpful place.

Comment

Federal Mogul and NTN have a HUGE bearing book. That has absolutely EVERY bearing made for cross referencing. It also has a measurement method (metric and SAE) to i.d X o.d X width X seal configuration to convert a size to a bearing series .

Comment

I think this is the size??

OK Bikebandit has the Aftermarket wheel bearings for my '80 GS850G for $18 for TWO!! But I think the OEM micro fish says it is B1 15X42X13 BEA if the 15X42X13 is correct it is a 6302 bearing?? Should I just get it from a bearing house when aftermarkets are $9 a peice?? I need to know soon need them next weekend! And do I need double sheilded or two seals??

Comment

Which one?

I am calling two bearing hosues near me what should I ask for 15X42X13 or 6302-2RS??

Comment

Just order 'em from All Balls and quit worrying about it:
                            Shop AllBallsRacing.com for Bearings, Seals, Cables, Harley Starters & More! We carry replacement parts to keep your Motorcycle, ATV, Dirt Bike, UTV, Snowmobile, Scooter or Harley running smoothly! We sell kits for all major OEM manufacturers!

I just paid around $24 delivered for all four wheel bearings for my GS850. I'm sure they're just normal bearings like you can get anywhere, but the price is good and ordering online is convenient.
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

so is it a good idea to order the stainless steel double sealed bearings for the wheels SS6305-2RS (link)

thanks for all the great info,

-ryan
                              I don't think stainless steel would make the slightest bit of difference in a motorcycle wheel bearing, other than it's expensive.

If you're building industrial equipment that gets used in corrosive environments, then yeah, maybe you need stainless steel wheel bearings. Or maybe you ride a lot on the beach, splashing through the salt water (wheel bearings would be the least of your problems then). And I happen to know you are a couplethree day's ride from any salt water, Ryan.
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                              X