Air in Fuel Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air in Fuel Line

I have a 1982 GS850 and I replaced the fuel line due to a small leak. The line that was on the bike was originaly clear, but had become foggy looking. After I replaced the line with a clear one and started the bike I noticed that ther is air churning in the line. The bike had been running fine then started running poorly before I changed the fue line and is still running poorly after the line change. I purchased the bike last May and the bike had been setting in a garage for about 2 years. Due to the air in the line and the poor running condition, would replacing the fuel cock be a starting point to correct this problem?

I use the clear blue line with a filter and notice air bubbles also but have no problems with performance at all I would think after sitting for 2 years that might be your problem .Did you check your plugs or clean the carbs yet?Does it idle good or bog down when reved? Check the vacum line for cracks or wear

Comment

Yeah, if its been sitting for two years, there could be other problems. If air is "churning" as you say, it could be that you're sucking air into the system from you're vacuum line, or leaking fuel into the carbs through your vacuum line. That would contribute to poor running.

Have to rebuild or replace the pet-cock to fix that.

Comment

I see bubbles in mine but its not (churning) as you put it.I have never had a clear fuel line till now but if it still runs good and doesnt leave a puddle of gas on the floor or fill up the crankcase everything must be fine.

Comment

I wouldnt worry about the fuel line, I would say you have other problems.Maybe an intake leak.What do you mean by running poorly?Idling issues or boggin down?have you checked your battery or cleaned your air filter.Check plug gap and color.Do you have good gas.These bikes are very tempermental.Everything has to be up to "par" to run good.

Comment

The thing about a few air bubbles in the fuel line is that they should just come out while the fuel is in the bowl. It should be a non issue as far as performance goes. I agree you probably have other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
              I wouldnt worry about the fuel line, I would say you have other problems.Maybe an intake leak.What do you mean by running poorly?Idling issues or boggin down?have you checked your battery or cleaned your air filter.Check plug gap and color.Do you have good gas.These bikes are very tempermental.Everything has to be up to "par" to run good.
              The bike started carbon fouling the plugs left and right about 2 months ago, and if you are looking at the bike from the front the 2 most far left exaust pipes have turned blue. I have been told (by a 30 year MC mechanic) that the carbs need a good cleaning due too the amount of time the bike was stored because the fuel probably turned to laqaur and has restricted the flow.

Comment

you for sure need to do a carb clean and get new o rings from cycleorings.com. Check your vacum line also and it wouldnt hurt to check for an intake leak.My pipes have never been more than a mild yellow when hot.I run ngk d8ea plugs with a gap of .028 with stock filter and pipes.Click here to see my pipes.23 year old originals. Everthing on my bike is original. http://photobucket.com/albums/c30/tconroy/

Comment

I have converted my GS1100GL to an electric solenoid fuel shutoff. After doing this mod and hooking up all the lines, I turned on the ignition switch and watched fuel (clear tubing) run down to the carbs. I started it up and it seem to run OK. I took it up the road and it sputtered and died. Naturally, my first thought was my solenoid stopped working. That wasn't the case. It was air in the line going to the carbs. Somehow, the air blocked the fuel from getting to the carbs. I got it home and removed the line from the carbs and let the line completely fill up with fuel. I reconnected the line and the old gal runs great!

Comment

Working...
                  X