Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why non vented brake rotors on my 1150

hi

was just curious why does my 1985 1150e not have vented brake rotors when my friends 1983 1100gl does. Wouldn't the newer, sportier bike have the vented rotors?

Thanks

I would think so, especially the E being the 'sportier' model than a GL. I was under the impression that Suzuki went to vented rotors in the '80s and never looked back. Maybe they were replaced with older units, but the guy must have been hard up. I'd think most people would go out of their way for vented rotors.

Comment

The 1150 rotors are vented. They just don't have holes drilled through them. Instead they have grooves:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Good question! I think all the jap mfg's went to drilled discs in the late 70's. They were advertised to weigh less & displace water better. I don't know why nor exactly when they changed to solid with grooves, but my "85" GS 1150 E & "86" GS 1150 ES has the solid rotors with grooves, and my wifeee's "85" GS 550 ES has the drilled discs.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks guys, totally forgot about the grooves...never really registered in my head that the grooves would have the same effect as drilled holes but makes a lot of sense.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
            Thanks guys, totally forgot about the grooves...never really registered in my head that the grooves would have the same effect as drilled holes but makes a lot of sense.

Ben
            An no doubt, grooves are/were FAR cheaper to manufacture than drilled holes. Back in the mid '80's was the begining of a massive manufacturing push to "do it cheaper", and unfortunately at the time, that thinking generally meant making "cheesball" components. (I am not implying that an 80's GS is "cheesball", just throwing out my opinion, on following the evolvement of autos, and bikes through that era).

Comment

Ahh yes grooves. Very groovy indeed. Do they work as well has holes?

Comment

Early gixxers had grooved discs as well. They must have worked good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotblack
                  Ahh yes grooves. Very groovy indeed. Do they work as well has holes?
                  Mine seem to work fine. I don't notice any brake fade. And I would think they actually channel water better than holes.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

"Another popular addition to a high performance brake system are sport disc brake rotors that are dimpled, drilled or grooved to reduce brake fade by helping evacuate the surface film of gases that are often released during very heavy braking. All brake pads contain some organic (living) materials (like the petro-chemical resins that bind the friction materials together). As these organic materials "overheat," they revert to gases that may cause the brake pads to lose some of their contact with the rotor, essentially "aquaplaning" away from the rotor on a film of gases."
                    From: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=78.

Comment

Working...
                    X