Metal Seat Pan for '80 GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Seat Pan for '80 GS850G?

When I bought my '80 GS850G it had a nice cloth aftermarket seat on it. The only problem was it only had the middle braket holding it on and the seat pan was plastic. I was carefull with it for three years now it finally broke! My buddy was able to fix but said a metal seat pan would be better, one with the front braket inplace even BETER!!

What years and model GS's can I get this metal seat pan and braket off of. Most of the nice seat I have seen on Ebay push $120!! I have nice fabric cover just need new pan and front bracket??
    Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM.

Would this work?

Would a set off a '81 GS1100 work for my '80 GS850G?? Brakets in the right place etc.?? I need some help here guys!

Comment

seatpan

try www.cycle-salvage.com and if that doesn't happen keep checkin other salvage yards 850g isn't that rare.

Comment

Bought it there!

I got the bike from one of the guys that works at Cycle salvage. They charge $$$ for what they have. And are some of the meanest bastards to do business with.

Comment

seat pan

Yea, cause they always got the part.But keep looking through the other salvage yards or employ your local salvage guy you trust to do the grunt work.

Comment

Originally posted by shortlid
            When I bought my '80 GS850G it had a nice cloth aftermarket seat on it. The only problem was it only had the middle braket holding it on and the seat pan was plastic. I was carefull with it for three years now it finally broke! My buddy was able to fix but said a metal seat pan would be better, one with the front braket inplace even BETER!!

What years and model GS's can I get this metal seat pan and braket off of. Most of the nice seat I have seen on Ebay push $120!! I have nice fabric cover just need new pan and front bracket??
            Your 80 850G has hinges? Right?

Comment

seat pan

gt had hinges,glt had keyed rear

Comment

Yes

Yes the '80 GS850G has the TWO hinges on teh side and has the latch on the other side.

I called the Suzuki dealer and he said that the '80 GS1000 seat pan was the same part as the '80 GS850G so I bought one on Ebay for $50. Bottom looks the same, keeping my fingers crossed. Going to sand blast it and either POR 15 or Rust-oleum it.

Comment

Mad, did not fit!!

Man am I MAD. I bough a GS1000G seat pan off Egay and AFTER I striped the the cover and foam off it I matched it up and the mounts are in a diff. position on the seat the front is lowwer and too narrow!! I am going to kill the parts guy at my local Suzuki stealership!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I might have one. If you can wait till next week (getting ready to leave for Daytona) I'll measure, take pictures, etc. and get back to you.

Originally posted by shortlid
                    Man am I MAD. I bough a GS1100G seat pan off Egay and AFTER I striped the the cover and foam off it I matched it up and the mounts are in a diff. position on the seat the front is lowwer and too narrow!! I am going to kill the parts guy at my local Suzuki stealership!!

Comment

Did you end up with a pan from an "L" model?
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

GS1100"G" seat

No, it's not a "L" seat it is a seat off a '80 GS1000G that was CLOSE but not a fit!

JayH thank you so much!
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM.

Comment

There's no such thing as a 1980 GS1100G. This bike first came out in 1982.

Comment

'80 Gs1"0"00g

Originally posted by Grandpa
                            There's no such thing as a 1980 GS1100G. This bike first came out in 1982.
                            Sorry one to many 1's! It was posted on Egay as off a '79 or '80 GS1000G. '80 GS100G is the model I asked about when I called the Suzuki Stealership parts guy about interchange ablity with my '80 GS850G.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting this info to you but just getting back from a little R and R at Daytona Bike Week and this is the first chance to measure the seat pan. I do have a double bucket seat and a seat pan that will fit your bike. Basic deminsions of the seat pan are:

27 in long x 12 3/4 in (at widest point) x 6 in (at tallest point)

L side - along the edge of pan 23 in long, ~center of hinge at 5 in and 13 in
                              R side - along the edge of pan 23 in long, ~ center of latch is 10 in

Any interest in either? Do you want pics of both? Let me know and I'll get it out to you tomorrow p.m.

Comment

Working...
                              X